We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel room availability

Which Gaithersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
reviews: 26
hotel room availability

Will be there the 1st half of March. will all hotels have availability or should I try to reserve? Not sure of actual dates and woud rather not reserve, but don't want to be forced to stay in a one star hotel.

8 replies to this topic
Springfield, VA
reviews: 113
1. Re: hotel room availability

I don't think anyone can predict what's going on in Gaithersburg the first half of March, but I wouldn't think you would have difficulty find a room. A couple of the larger hotels have conference space and might fill up if there's a big meeting taking place in them. Most of the hotels are part of major chains, which have cancellation policies clearly delineated on their websites. You can always make a reservation and cancel within the specified date for cancelling without penalty.

Maryland
reviews: 14
2. Re: hotel room availability

what's the harm in reserving a room now? they won't charge your cc unless you actually stay the night. most have an easy 24 hr cancellation policy if you know you won't need the room...or choose to stay somewhere else.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
3. Re: hotel room availability

If you won't have access to a car and want to be staying within walking distance of whatever business you're conducting in Gaithersburg, then I'd absolutely reserve a specific hotel in that location now. As the above poster says, you should be able to cancel the reservation if you find a better deal (unless you buy an extra-cheap pre-paid non-refundable room).

You may even find that hotels identified as being in "Rockville" (specifically the 20850 zip code) are actually closer to your business than those labeled as being in "Gaithersburg." The two pretty much adjoin each other. With a car, you can probably get to any part of Gaithersburg in about 10 minutes from a hotel located in Rockville's 20850 zip code.

All that having been said--if you want a better answer, more info will help. To what landmark or approximate address in Gaithersburg do you need/want to be close by? Will you have a car? Can you provide specific dates? How many traveling? What's your price point?

Washington DC...
reviews: 95
4. Re: hotel room availability

I would also recommend that you look at a website like hotels.com, kayak.com, or one of the online travel agents (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz) and see what prices and availability are looking like. That will give you an idea of the types of property available and what the price is now, about a month out from your dates.

If you see something you like (or a price that is too good to pass up), try reserving directly with the hotel. They will often have the most flexible cancellation policy. Just be on the lookout for prepaid rates. Based on your description above, that is probably something you do not want.

dctravel

Indiana
5. Re: hotel room availability

My daughter and I will be traveling to DC to the museums, college visits, etc. sometime during her spring break. Not sure which day we will be arriving or what time of day, either. I have checked the websites and prices are astronomical for that area. I didn't want to pay $200 per night for a room. I assumed the outer area would be cheaper than downtown, but doesn't appear to be. I thought that just stopping at hotel in the evening and getting the last room of the night would be better/cheaper. Rooms this far out should be no more than $100 or so a night. 2 years ago I stayed at a HGI in Bethesda for $129 per night, that hotel is now $229 per night. I may just stay home if this is the price. What is the point of driving 1200 miles for 2 days? If I can't afford 4 nights, I will stay home.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
6. Re: hotel room availability

I think you hit upon the answer-not only is it your daughter's spring break, it's also break for a lot of families and DC is a popular destination, driving up demand (and prices) on area hotel rooms...even as far out as Gaithersburg.

So in a perfect world, what exact dates would you come for four days? What specific colleges are you thinking of visiting? With the knowledge that it's not a must to stay in Gaithersburg and your price point, there may be deals to be had in locations you haven't considered.

Boston...
7. Re: hotel room availability

Hey,

you can book rooms right now, and if any case you are forced to cancel your trip - I heard of a new site of hotel rooms marketplace, where you can sell & buy hotels reservations, thus avoiding paying cancellation fees.

www.goroomer.com

Indiana
8. Re: hotel room availability

Thank you for the tip. I ended up paying $170 per night for a $100 per night average hotel. At these rates I won't be returning to DC anytime soon. The town is overpriced for what is there, which is mostly snobby corporate people, with obviously huge expense accounts. Funny how our government always caters to the rich and could care less about the average Joe.

Reply to: hotel room availability
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gaithersburg