We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and transportation to DC

Which Gaithersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 4
Where to stay and transportation to DC

Hello! We are coming to Gaithersburg and would like to visit DC while we are in the area. We need to know where to stay and the best public transportation to get to DC. We do not want to drive into DC from the hotel. There will only be 2 adults.. Any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU!

5 replies to this topic
Washington, DC
reviews: 13
1. Re: Where to stay and transportation to DC

Hi:

I live in Gaithersburg and commute into DC for work every day. If you are staying at a hotel in Gaithersburg, you have two options: you can board the MARC train at the Washington Grove station and that will take you to Union Station in DC. I don't know the cost offhand.

Or, you can get on the Red Line Metro at Shady Grove Station (off of 355 and Redland Road) and that will take you past numerous stops in DC, including major stops like Metro Center and Gallery Place Chinatown. Depending on what time of day you leave and whether you have Smarttrip card (a reloadable card that automatically deducts your fare when you scan at the gate) a one-way trip will cost anywhere from $2-$5.20.

There are multiple buslines to the Metro station or - if you're bringing a car - you can park it in the Metro parking lot for $4.75 a day.

I would be happy to advise on hotels but would need to know more about your budget, tastes, etc.

reviews: 1
2. Re: Where to stay and transportation to DC

I'm staying at the Hyatt house and is that near trans(metro or ) I want to visit dc with family any suggestions stuart

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
3. Re: Where to stay and transportation to DC

Hyatt House is a little over a mile to the Metrorail station. Their shuttle service to the Metro is probably your best bet.

Minneapolis...
4. Re: Where to stay and transportation to DC

We are considering taking a one day tour with Viator. They leave from Union station at 8:00 AM. We are considering these hotels: Comfort Inn Shady Grove, Hampton, Holiday inn of Gaithersburg, or Hyatt House. They have shuttles within a 5 mile radius. We are completely inexperienced with mass transit. What do you suggest?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
5. Re: Where to stay and transportation to DC

That you not worry about it and take metro to union station. I am sure the hotel can help. You can look at the metro website. There are people at the stations to help confused out of towners ( like me every time I get on).

Reply to: Where to stay and transportation to DC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gaithersburg