We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro bus?

Which Gaithersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Metro bus?

I'm very comfortable riding Metrorail, but I'm wondering if the buses are as safe. Specifically, I'll be taking the bus from the Shady Grove Metro station to Frederick Ave/Montgomery Village Ave bus stop. Is this route safe, particularly at 9/10pm? I'd like to avoid using a shuttle service from DCA if possible. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 14
1. Re: Metro bus?

With all the news recently about crime on the metro, I haven't heard any problems with the buses. I think you'll be OK but just be careful as always.

Silver Spring...
2. Re: Metro bus?

What news recently about crime on Metro? I haven't heard anything.

The only crime I've ever heard of on busses is in SE where degenerate scum teenagers attack the driver. The drivers have more to worry about than any passengers.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
3. Re: Metro bus?

Google it...there are a bunch to pull from.

Metro said they will address the issues, so maybe they already did, but there have been some incidents within the last 6 months.

Sacramento...
4. Re: Metro bus?

Thanks, I think I'll avoid the buses :-)

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
5. Re: Metro bus?

No, wait....I was saying the buses should be safe. Overall the entire transit system in DC is safe: metro, bus, etc...there have been some publicized incidents lately but I think you'll be perfectly OK.

Maryland
reviews: 5
6. Re: Metro bus?

The main crime problem on metrorail recently has been thieves in busy stations, snatching people's cellphone, blackberries, I-pods, etc. and running. Also there have always been car thefts from metro parking lots, especially on the green line and eastern half of the metropolitan area.

Edited: 12:31 pm, July 18, 2011
Washington, DC
reviews: 13
7. Re: Metro bus?

I live in Gaithersburg and use the Metro bus from Shady Grove to Montgomery Village (the 59 route) all the time. The 59 definitely has a mix of people and you get your usual variety of weirdos and drunks even during commuter time but I've never felt unsafe during daylight hours.

However, as a female, I would not take the 59 around 9-10 at night. I don't think anything would happen but the Shady Grove bus stop can get a little hairy later and later at night. I usually take a cab from Shady Grove and the fare runs about $15-17.

I figure it's worth it for those few times I get off the Metro late at night.

Reply to: Metro bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gaithersburg