We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS address help

Which Gaithersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N Dartmouth MA
reviews: 65
GPS address help

I am trying to put in the address for the comfort inn in Shady Grove into my GPS. The address I have 16216 Frederick Rd but when I put into my GPS the only thing it comes up with is S Frederick Ave. Is this the same place?

How is the traffic driving into DC from here? What would be a good time to leave in the morning to avoid rush hour traffic.

Thanks

near Washington DC
1. Re: GPS address help

Yes, they are the same.

I just checked maps.google.com and they call Route 355 Frederick Rd or South Frederick Avenue. My wife lived within 2 miles of your hotel and I can say that for 25 plus years, the locals knew it as Frederick Rd. But what do we know?

The rush is South in the morning and North in the evening.. The bulk of the rush is on the parallel interstate, Route 270

I suspect you'd want to use the NJ Turnpike and I95. If you're doing it all on one weekday, it is nearly impossible to avoid rush-hour traffic in either NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore or DC. Maybe if you pass NYC at 11AM, you can be at the Comfort Inn in Gaithersburg by 3PM. But I wouldn't linger at stops in between.

If you do hit DC at rush-hour, the trip on I95 from Baltimore won't be bad. The trip around I495 (the DC Beltway) is light to moderate. But the trip north on I270 or Rte 355 is where the congestion is.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
2. Re: GPS address help

"How is the traffic driving into DC from here? "

In a word, "brutal", during morning rush. If you're not on the road by 6:00 - 6:30 (and I don't imagine a tourist would have a need to be!) then you're best off waiting until at least after 9:00, and maybe a bit later. (You can monior traffic on local radio WTOP 103.5, traffic reports "on the eights." 8:58, 9:08, etc etc).

near Washington DC
3. Re: GPS address help

Irish, I think we need to clarify. The OP is not talking about arriving at Gaithersburg in the morning rush hour.

By coming to Gaithersburg in the evening, the DC beltway isn't "brutally" heavy west-bound until Georgia Ave. And, even then, "brutal" is an over-characterization. The brutal part is I270 North. If you have two people, you can travel the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes. That means you're in the left lane. It is much less congested and moves. But since you're only on I270 for 5 miles, it means you'll have to cross 3 lanes to exit right at I395 (Sam Eig Highway) or Shady Grove Rd.

But, if you arrive after 3PM, all bets are off.

N Dartmouth MA
4. Re: GPS address help

Thanks for your replies. Now let me clarify. I am getting to Gaithersburg on Wednesday afternoon. I was talking about driving into DC on Thursday morning to site see. What would be the best time to leave our hotel. If I leave at 9:15 will I be okay at that time? Sorry for the confusion.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
5. Re: GPS address help

Leaving Gaithersburg at 9:15 would "usually" put you behind the bulk of the rush hour traffic. As I noted earlier, it's not a bad idea to check the traffic report to make sure nothing out of the ordinary is going on.

near Washington DC
6. Re: GPS address help

If your focus is the mall, you're better off taking the metro from Shady Grove Metro station (1.3 mi south of your hotel). Parking downtown is expensive and rare. http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm You'll have to transfer from the red line at Metro Center. The drive to metro, parking and the entire trip downtown should take less than 1.5 hr. Metro fares are higher before 9:30 AM for rush-hour commuters.

N Dartmouth MA
7. Re: GPS address help

We were thinking of taking the metro but we decided to drive because there are 8 of us. We are going in one vehicle and planning to park at Union Station which is about 20.00 a day. Does that sound like a good plan? We do plan on taking the metro to the zoo.

near Washington DC
8. Re: GPS address help

Great idea - I park there often! Its very safe.

Have a bite to eat at the lowest level of the station. There are 30 or so eateries there. When you exit Union Station you'll be facing the Capitol. Its a very nice way to start your tour!

Google maps shows you traveling down the GW Parkway on the VA side of the Potomac River. An alternative is to travel east on the 495 (the DC Beltway), exit at Georgia Ave and take 16th Street (and then maybe to Mass Ave). I'd find a way that didn't take you into VA.

N Dartmouth MA
9. Re: GPS address help

I put Union Station into my GPS and it gave me an address of 2 Massachusetts Ave. Their website says don't use 50 Mass Ave because your gps won't recognize it. I'm sure it will be easy to find. I hear the food court is reasonable. My husband was looking for a Harley Davidson store and I found out there is one there at street level. Seems like it is going to work out. Is it a parking garage? How do you pay, when you leave? Is there a machine that collects your money?

N Dartmouth MA
10. Re: GPS address help

If I was taking the Metro to the zoo which would be the best stop to get off? I heard one stop you get off you have to walk uphill but if you go to the next stop it's an easy flat walk.

Get answers to your questions about Gaithersburg