We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

Which Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Germantown Hills, IL
reviews: 19
what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

hello all:

I will be traveling on business in January to Columbia MD. I will have no car but am willing to ride local taxis, buses, trains, etc to get to see places (i.e. Washington DC, Atlantic City, etc.). I am just curious what is there to do at night. I will be staying at the Staybridge Suites with an associate and two more associates at the Homewood Suites. Where are some of the best restaurants, clubs, sporting events(Maryland Terps or Ravens). Is there any snow skiing nearby? Can you golf in January in this area? My weekdays are taken up with classroom instruction but the nights are free as well as two weekends. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 8
11. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

If you are looking for bars / nightlife in the Columbia area, the best choice is probably Nottingham's, which IrishFan mentioned in another thread. It's a bar with live cover bands, most of which are decent. Also in Columbia, there's a Green Turtle sports bar that opened recently in the area, and I've heard good things about Michael's Pub. But get a map or use Mapquest!

On Main Street in nearby "historic" Ellicott City, there are more choices, and they are all within walking distance of each other. It's a nice place to spend an evening with dinner and some drinks, if the weather is warm enough. La Palapa is a Mexican restaurant / bar that often features live music. The Ellicott Mills Brewing Company makes their own excellent beer and has good food. Cacao Lane is a decent restaurant and Phoenix Emporium has pretty tasty pub grub.

Columbia, MD
12. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

Columbia has a lot to do but a car is handy. You and your fellow travelers may want to rent a car for the weekends. Enterprise has extremely low weekend rates and they will pick you up. Columbia is half an hour or less to Baltimore where there is lots to do in the Inner Harbor and the museums are not free. Washington is about 45 minutes away as is Annapolis. Columbia is in the middle of many places. The Mall in Columbia has great stores, a multitheater for movies, Tobies for dinner theater. It has a great wine bar on 108 called the Iron Bridge with great food and wine. Skiing, if they can make snow is 1-11/2 hours away -

Ski Liberty and Whitetail. There is just so much to do in DC. Get a copy of the Weekender on the web or the Friday Washington Post for what's going on. You also can get a train to Philadelphia that connects to Atlantic City.

Columbia, Maryland
13. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

Columbia is situated right in the middle of Washington dc and baltimore. The mall is probably the biggest atttraction in columbia.

However there are tons of great reestuarants and bars.

At night ,Nottinghans bar located on stanford bulevard is the place to be. All the fun loving people of the town heng out there. Green turlteis another great bars just accros the street.

Also from staybridge suites , old Ellicott City offers alot to to. the night life is vibrant with lots of nice bars and during the day there are many great Art shop, antiques store and just beautiful scenary. Because staybridge is in Ellicott City, your best bet is to venture out that way.

To get around its easy using a cab.My experience is they are very efficient. http://www.columbiataxiservice.com

or Columbia Taxi just to name a few.

14. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 16, 2009