We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

Which Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Germantown Hills, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

hello all:

I will be traveling on business in January to Columbia MD. I will have no car but am willing to ride local taxis, buses, trains, etc to get to see places (i.e. Washington DC, Atlantic City, etc.). I am just curious what is there to do at night. I will be staying at the Staybridge Suites with an associate and two more associates at the Homewood Suites. Where are some of the best restaurants, clubs, sporting events(Maryland Terps or Ravens). Is there any snow skiing nearby? Can you golf in January in this area? My weekdays are taken up with classroom instruction but the nights are free as well as two weekends. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
1. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

It will be difficult to get around without a car but there are local taxis.

Most of the action in Columbia is around the Mall. There is a movie theater (AMC with 10 screens) several nice restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, UNOs, Champs) and across the street at the lakefront there is Clyde's and the Tomato Palace.

The closest Golf course would probably be Turf Valley in Ellicott City. I don't know about golfing in January, I guess it all depends on the weather.

The Ravens are 25 minutes North in Baltimore and the Terps are 25 minutes South in College Park.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
39,978 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

As a Ravens fan I certainly HOPE they're still playing in January! :)

Of course if they are, it would be a playoff game with ticket prices and availability being an issue. Face value of playoff games is somewhere in the $150 range at least...

Your hotel, unfortunately, isn't in the best area for someone without a car. There are a few places to eat in walking distance, a Bob Evans being the closest, a 2 minute walk from your hotel.

5-10 minute walk will take you to a strip center with a pretty good Mexican place, a Thai restaurant, and a Burger King. And beyond that is another strip center with a grocery store and a few other restaurants including Asean Bistro which is really good.

You may want to contact the hotel to see if they have a shuttle to get you around.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

hobbits' glen golf course is in columbia. it's possible you might be able to play in january....sometimes we get these weird warm spells at unlikely times...but i wouldn't count on it.

i don't think there's any snow skiing any closer than at least two hours away, in either southern PA or far western MD.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

weekends....of course there's lots to see in baltimore - the aquarium, some wonderful museums & nice restaurants, etc.

annapolis is also nice to visit....historical stuff if you're interested in that, good restaurants. live jazz at 49 west, & the ramshead tavern features an eclectic assortment of national acts in a really nice SMALL setting, with their own microbrews. their schedule is posted on their website.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,978 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

Annapolis is nice, but there aren't really any options for getting there without a car.

Signuka, for your weekends, you might consider getting a hotel for a night or two in either Washington DC or Baltimore, I think you'd find far better options there than being stuck in Columbia without a car. Or is renting a car an option for you, at least on the weekend?

Level Contributor
2,467 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

I agree with Irishfan on this one about being better off taking a hotel room in Washington or Baltimore a weekend.

Columbia without a car gives me the shivers.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

frankly, columbia WITH A CAR gives me the shivers LOL

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,978 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

"frankly, columbia WITH A CAR gives me the shivers LOL"

Why?

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

oh irish, i dunno. i just never did like columbia much - too "planned & controlled" for my taste i guess. always had trouble knowing where i was, because everything looked so much alike.

just not my cup of tea.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: what is there to do in the winter in Columbia MD?

If you will have work in Columbia, it's a convenient place to be located, *if* you have a car. The roads are a bit tricky off the main highways, but if you have a navigator and a map you'll be fine.

Staybridge Suites is right at Route 100, so you'll have easy access to I-95, which places you only 13 miles from the downtown exit into Baltimore, and just 18 miles from the D.C. Beltway. In the evenings, you will be able to get into Baltimore in 20 minutes and into D.C. in a little over a half-hour (depending how early you go, D.C. traffic can be bad). You should *definitely* rent a car, as public transportation is virtually nonexistent in that area, and cabs will be inconvenient. There is obviously a lot to do in Baltimore and D.C., so I won't go into details, but I recommend a few Baltimore restaurants - Salt, Pazo, Fleming's, Brewer's Art, Wine Market, and Boccaccio.

Columbia has *very* little in terms of nightlife. If you want clubs, you'll have to go into Baltimore or D.C. If that's important, you should be able to get good weekend rates at hotels in either city.

However, there are excellent / very good restaurants just a short drive from your hotel - Iron Bridge Wine Company, Tersiguel's, Kings Contrivance, and Aida Bistro. And you will be able to walk to Greystone Grill, which is a very good steakhouse. Two other great choices very close to your hotel are Bangkok Delight (excellent Thai food) and Asean Bistro (great Chinese, a cut above the usual fare), both of which IrishFan already mentioned.

The Ravens are in the playoffs, so they'll have one home game in January, but good luck getting tix. Don't know about Terps events - check U. of MD website.

The closest golf course is Fairway Hills:

columbiaassociation.com/living_playing/sport…

For skiing within driving distance, check out this summary:

baltimoresun.com/entertainment/…4215059.story

For more info, contact me at wigout6@juno.com

Enjoy your trip!