We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

Which Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 149
Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

A group of friends (30 year olds) will be going to see a concert in Merriweather and we would love to hear your suggestions on where to stay? where to eat? where to go for drinks? Any advice would be helpful!

Also, I read somewhere that parking is crazy at Merriweather. Any tips to avoid the hassles or get there on time?

Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 48
1. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

Parking IS crazy at Merriweather but most locals use the lot at Columbia Mall and walk over instead of using the "official" lot. (Needless to say this can't be thrilling to the Mall management, but after one brief attempt to stop it about 15 years ago they no longer have an issue with it, just don't try to "tailgate" in the lot.)

Or you could stay at the Sheraton in Columbia and just walk from there and avoid the whole parking issue. Other than the Sheraton there is a Hilton fairly close by, (2 miles?), a Courtyard slightly further away, and then just about every other chain hotel is represented within another 5-10 miles, take your pick.

There are numerous restaurants around the Columbia Mall area, PF Changs, Clydes, Tomato Palace, That's Amore, Cheesecake Factory, etc etc. These are just some of those within walking distance. Like the hotels, there is one of every chain imaginable within a few miles.

Virginia
2. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

Thanks Irishfan for your quick reply. Any recommendations for where to go after the concert? What is the nightlife like in Columbia? Any bars or cocktail lounges or nightclubs that you would suggest for a group of married women?

Maryland
Destination Expert
3. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

There isn't a whole lot happening in Columbia, there are a couple of places to hang out but nothing really worth going out of the way for.

Problem being that Columbia is really spread out and it can be hard to find things if you're not familiar with the area.

Once you decide where you're staying it will be easier to make specific recomendations.

Virginia
4. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

We will be staying at the Courtyard by Marriott. We would like to eat at a restaurant in town, somewhere within 10-15 minutes from the hotel and Merriweather. Any recommendations? I have read about ASEAN and Mango Grove. What do you think of these places and others you may want to recommend.

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 1
5. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

There are a lot of chain (but nice)restaurants close by at the town center.

Clyde's - American

Tomato Palace - Italian/American

Copelands - Cajun/New Orleans

Cheesecake Factory - American

PF Chang's - Chinese

Uno's - Chicago style pizza

Champs - Sports bar and grill

Clyde's, Copelands, Cheesecake Factory and Champs all have nice bars. These restaurants are also within walking distance of Merriweather (less than 1/3 of a mile)so you can park at the restaurant and then walk over to the concert.

Maryland
Destination Expert
6. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

Mango Grove is Indian vegetarian, I only ate there once and didn't care for it, but in the interest of fairness that was at least 7-8 years ago and I don't recall why I had a problem with the place...

Asean Bistro is wonderful, but having dinner there and then driving to the concert will put you in some traffic if the concert is a popular one.

Instead, the same owner (Jesse Wong) of Asean Bistro has a place on the lakefront in Columbia, Jesse Wong's Hong Kong. It's very good (I just ate there on Saturday!) And it's walkable to the concert.

Post-concert, there is a place called Nottingham's walking distance from your hotel. It's a bar/club, if it's a weekend they will have a band or dj and if the weather's good they have an outdoor terrace. I haven't been there in several years, so can't vouch for current atmosphere or anything. Maybe a "google" will bring something up.

Washington, DC
7. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

I grew up literally around the corner (5 min walk from Merriweather in Columbia) so was interested to see what people would recommend. :)

Please, please park at the mall and not in the adjacent residential neighborhoods- it is really frustrating for the "locals". They still have memories of a Dead concert almost 30 years ago. . .

Clyde's is a great option, same restaurant group as downtown DC if you are familiar (Tomato Palace is also in the group). The restaurants named are all good options, but make reservations as they get packed on concert nites.

And I was surprised to learn there is a Cheesecake Factory there now- guess I will pass it when I go home this weekend.

Virginia
8. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

Thanks everybody for your input. We are ready to invade Columbia this weekend. We plan to park at the mall BUT weather forecast calls for rain!

We made reservations at Wong's Hong Kong as recommended, but can you really walk to the mall / concert from there?

Cheesecake doesn't take any reservations so we eliminated that choice.

Gates open at 5:30 and show begins at 7 pm, so I wonder if the parking will still be a nightmare. Just worried about walking in the rain from the restaurant to the concert or would I rather sit in traffic in my car?

We do hope to make it to Nottingham's after the concert.

Thanks again for any and all feedback!!!

Virginia
9. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

Thanks everybody for your input. We are ready to invade Columbia this weekend. We plan to park at the mall BUT weather forecast calls for rain!

We made reservations at Wong's Hong Kong as recommended, but can you really walk to the mall / concert from there?

Cheesecake doesn't take any reservations so we eliminated that choice.

Gates open at 5:30 and show begins at 7 pm, so I wonder if the parking will still be a nightmare. Just worried about walking in the rain from the restaurant to the concert or would I rather sit in traffic in my car?

We do hope to make it to Nottingham's after the concert.

Thanks again for any and all feedback!!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
10. Re: Hotels, Restaurants, Merriweather

I wouldn't worry too much about traffic from where you're coming from.

This will make more sense once you get there, but bottom line is most of the traffic will be not be coming from the Jesse Wong area to Merriweather.

You "can" walk to the concert from the lakefront restaurant area, but you can also get a bit closer without any major effort and without getting stuck in traffic.

Again this will make more sense once you see the layout, but here's what you do:

Leave Jesse Wong's and head towards the Columbia Mall across the street, follow the Mall perimeter towards Lord and Taylor and then JC Penney, you'll be in the Mall parking lot and won't even be on the main road...follow around to Sears and you'll probably see others parking in that area, on he outreaches of the lot out by the Columbia Bank and the Provident Bank. Follow the crowd between the office buildings and you'll be right across from "Symphony Woods", a picnic area that surrounds Merriweather.

If you park near Sears you can walk to the gate at the concert in about 5 minutes. Walking from Jesse Wong is probably 15 minutes.