We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camden Yards to Columbia

Which Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 10
Camden Yards to Columbia

I'll be going to a Friday night game at Camden Yards and I'm wondering if there is a train or bus that can take me back to Columbia after the game.

Thanks,

Mike

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 12
1. Re: Camden Yards to Columbia

Unfortunately, the days of special public transit service to/from the games are long gone. The best MTA now offers is extending subway and light rail service by no more than an hour after regular closing time if gametime warrants.

To some areas, you could make use of regularly-scheduled transit services, but Columbia isn't one of them.

Short of arranging private transportation, your best hope could be latching on to a group that does its own charter transportation to/from the game--but I don't know of any specific ones serving Columbia, but groups like this (often bar-affiliated) tend to do just a few games a year and it would therefore be hit-or-miss for your specific game.

If you don't get an answer about charters here, you could probably get it by asking around on a visit to Sonoma's (sports bar off of Broken Land), or posing your question in the boards of any of the numerous O's fansites online, e.g. Orioles Hangout.

Edited: 9:23 pm, April 06, 2010
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 9
2. Re: Camden Yards to Columbia

I agree with Tubman. There is no real good way to get back to Columbia after an O's game aside from driving your own car or taking a taxi which will be pretty expensive.

I would maybe recommend taking the light rail back to BWI and hailing a cab there to Columbia. The rates for a taxi from BWI to Columbia are probably much cheaper than from downtown Baltimore to Columbia.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 51
3. Re: Camden Yards to Columbia

"The rates for a taxi from BWI to Columbia are probably much cheaper than from downtown Baltimore to Columbia."

BWI to Columbia for me recently was somewhere around $45 with tip, fyi. Of course Columbia covers a lot of ground depending on where the OP is heading.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 12
4. Re: Camden Yards to Columbia

If you decide on a taxi, you definitely want to take it directly home vs. light railing to BWI first. Assuming a 22-mile ride to Columbia, the taxi fare from Camden should be about $51. The fare from BWI to Columbia is estimated at $49 on BWI's website. Factor in the $1.60 light rail fare, and your savings might be all of 40¢...easily wiped out with just two ticks of a taxi meter.

Not to mention that it'll take you perhaps an extra hour longer to get home given the relatively slow light-rail ride and waiting time.

Your only shot at saving any money going to BWI first would be taking an airport shuttle van (~$33) home for the last leg. That poses its own set of challenges at a late hour, especially since you can't predict when you'd be at the airport.

Again, I'd give Sonoma's or other sports bars in the area a call or visit to see if anybody there knows anything about charters.

Edited: 12:19 pm, April 07, 2010
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 9
5. Re: Camden Yards to Columbia

Even as I was typing it, I was wondering if taxis were cheaper from downtown to Columbia than from BWI, so that was bad information.

New York
reviews: 10
6. Re: Camden Yards to Columbia

Thanks everyone for your replies. After looking at the MTA web site I pretty much came to the same conclusion. I will look into it some more. Thanks again.

Mike

7. Re: Camden Yards to Columbia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 05, 2010