We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train service

Which Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
29 posts
train service

i am planning on staying in the columbia area..is it wise to take a train into the dc area instead of driving? or is driving ok and parking near the mall ok? thanks for your repley.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
1. Re: train service

Parking near the mall? Only if it's on a weekend and you get there before 8:00a.m., otherwise you will be looking for a parking space until noon.

I used to live in Columbia and work in DC. If you plan on going into the city during the week TAKE THE TRAIN! Save yourself HOURS of frustration being stuck on the beltway with our crazy drivers.

The trains are safe, comfortable and reliable. The MARC train will take you straight into Union Station where you can access the Metro (our subway system) or grab a taxi. One thing though - the MARC train only runs in the mornings and the late afternoon/evening. Be sure to check the schedules as some people are under the impression that they run all day long and end up stuck downtown for several hours.

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
520 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: train service

Hi I just got back from the DC area and stayed in Columbia. I wouldn't recommend driving in. We drove to the Greenbelt station on the two days we went into DC (Friday and Sunday).

The DC subway seemed clean and safe. We had no hassle with traffic getting to Greenbelt even on Friday. You can get an all day pass for $6.95 for the subway (but be aware these aren't available until 9 am on weekdays). Also, parking is $3.50 on weekdays at the greenbelt and you have to get a smart card to pay on weekdays, but parking is free at the greenbelt on weekends.

I would definitely recommend taking the metro from greenbelt, it was easy, stress-free, and very convenient. The DC metro site has a website where you can get maps, plan your routes, etc.

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: train service

Help! I also will be staying in Columbia MD and planning to go into DC on a Saturday, and want to take the train. I am trying to understand how to do this: I have to take a train? from Baltimore then switch somewhere to the DC metro? Where are Columbia locations to get on the train? I plan to stay around Hwy 100 and 29. Any and all direction on this is appreciated ....

4. Re: train service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 19, 2009