We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do when your kid wants to go to Merriweather Post

Which Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
What to do when your kid wants to go to Merriweather Post

Hi Marylanders,

I live in Virginia, and my nephew--who is staying with me for a few weeks--wants to go to a few shows at Merriweather Post this summer. I don't want to go with him (neither one of us are too excited at that prospect), but I don't want to drop him off and come back here--I'd feel better staying in the area. So...I'll have time to kill, some of it might be after 9 pm, and I want to stay as close as possible to MP. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
1. Re: What to do when your kid wants to go to Merriweather Post

You could always go to the Mall. Or if you get tired of going to the Mall, you could always go to the Mall.

And if that doesn't appeal to you, seriously consider going to the Mall. Oh yeah, you can go to eat or hang out in the bar of some of the restaurants (Clyde's) on the lake across from the Mall to check out the singles scene. Don't like the idea of hanging around the shopping mall? Try one of the big-box shopping centers that's probably exactly like what you have at home located just a few minutes from the Mall, but with higher sales tax.

I don't mean to be Columbia-critical, but there really isn't that much else to do in Columbia proper given the circumstances you're describing. The relatively limited time you'll have that the concerts run, you can't relocate yourself to downtown Baltimore for fun and games. If you were there earlier in the day, you could take a nice hike through Centennial Park.

You might find downtown Ellicott City worth checking out for variety, as it's only about 15 minutes away. Personally I'd take this opportunity you're being handed to catch up on all the summer movies I want to see at the AMC 14 at...you guessed it. Or sit in the parking lot with a good book.

Virginia
2. Re: What to do when your kid wants to go to Merriweather Post

Thanks so much for the feedback, but I think I'll just go to the mall.

(actually, I hadn't even thought of taking in some movies...that's a good idea.)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
3. Re: What to do when your kid wants to go to Merriweather Post

I like the Ellicott City idea, it's a nice place for a stroll in the evenings and has some good places to grab a bite to eat.

Columbia has some decent restaurants, you don't "have" to hang out at the mall. (And it's not really a great option since the concerts don't end until 10:30 or 11:00 and the mall closes at 9:30)

If you don't feel like checking out a movie you can always grab a cup of coffee and browse at Borders or Barnes & Noble, both have locations within 15 minutes of MPP.

And don't venues have "quiet rooms" for the old folks any more? What's up with that? :)

4. Re: What to do when your kid wants to go to Merriweather Post

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 30, 2009