We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

affordable place to stay near National Archives

Which College Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, England
reviews: 5
affordable place to stay near National Archives

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to visit Washington/College Park to do some research at the National Archives in College Park for two weeks this June. Can anyone suggest an affordable ($70-$130), safe place to stay, ideally within walking distance of the Archives (as I have no car, easy by public transport would be good too).

I have found a place called "Norwich House" which offers shared bathroom accommodation for graduate students/researchers for excellent value ($500 for two weeks) and is on the uni campus. Has anyone ever stayed here? Is it recommended? Are there any other similar style accommodation (shared bathroom but private bedroom) on campus?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Many thanks,

Ben

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
reviews: 3
1. Re: affordable place to stay near National Archives

I would think that a lot of students would be looking for any length of sub-let for their off campus apartments. The office of Residence Life at University of Maryland has a department devoted to helping students find off-campus housing, and also to sublet. I would try to get in touch with them. www.och.umd.edu . Most off campus housing arrangments are year round, and as students leave for summer break, they still have to pay for their empty apartments. I recall also, that there are many private homes that offer individual bedrooms (furnished or not) for rent and the off-campus housing office has a searchable database for these as well.

Edited: 12:52 pm, March 08, 2010
Nottingham, England
2. Re: affordable place to stay near National Archives

Thanks Creekdweller. I have contacted the UM housing department, hopefully they will have some more info. I will look into those private homes you mention as well.

Thanks again

Nottingham, England
3. Re: affordable place to stay near National Archives

Hi again Creekdweller: I've found a place on Berwyn Road (just east of the uni campus but west of 55th Ave) which might be suitable. Do you know anything about the area? Thanks again!

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
reviews: 3
4. Re: affordable place to stay near National Archives

Not off the top of my head. However, I have a couple of thoughts. 1. There are a couple people on this board that are really knowledgable about the area. Tubman comes to mind, first. You might send him a private message and ask him to respond if he's not following this thread. 2. If you give me an address, either on this thread or thru private mesage, I can (a) see where it is on Google Earth/maps and/or do a drive by on my next campus visit - maybe this weekend.

5. Re: affordable place to stay near National Archives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 08, 2010