We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible hotel options

Which College Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 26
Possible hotel options

Hi. I'm hoping to gain some advice about the College Park area. I'm pretty much starting from zero knowledge so any help would be appreciated. Our children (ten different families) are going to be participating in a world-wide competition at the University of Maryland the first week in June. Majority of hotels in the immediate area are already booked. Here is a list of our options:

Holiday Inn (College Park)

Holiday Inn (Greenbelt)

Quality Inn (Takoma Park)

Days Inn (Silver Spring)

Ramada Limited (Silver Spring)

Residence Inn (Silver Spring)

Four Points Sheraton (New Carrollton)

We are looking for something safe and clean. Not too long/difficult a drive to the campus. Most of us will have additional children with us, although most of our time will be spent at U of M at the competition.

If there is a good one in the bunch or one we should not consider I would love an opinion. Or if there is a nearby town we should look into. We are completely unfamilar with the area. Thanks for any help.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
reviews: 3
1. Re: Possible hotel options

I think you should post this on the DC forum. While College Park is in Maryland, it is really a suburb of DC, as is Takoma Park, Silver Spring, etc. I'm really no expert on this area, but if I were picking, I would opt for College Park, Greenbelt, or New Carrollton because I think it would be easier to get back and forth from the campus. Good luck in the ccmpetition!

Laurel, Maryland
reviews: 15
2. Re: Possible hotel options

I would recommend the Holiday Inn, College Park. It is the closest one to UM and will be the easist to get to. It is in a good area near the intersection of the capital beltway and Route 1. And it's easy to find because it's right next to a giant IKEA with a huge sign. It's just a short drive down Route 1 to get to the University. The other locations will involve considerably more travel time.

Maryland
reviews: 4
3. Re: Possible hotel options

If you are the one that posted in the DC forum, I said the Holiday Inn Greenbelt would be the best option.

Baltimore, MD
reviews: 13
4. Re: Possible hotel options

Have you tried either the Greenbelt Marriott or the Greenbelt Hilton Garden Inn? Those would be my first choices. They are both closer to the College Park campus than the Greenbelt Holiday Inn.

Maryland
reviews: 5
5. Re: Possible hotel options

The folks who have been searching for hotels near the University of Maryland are coming to town for the Odyssey of the Mind event on May 31-June 3, and just about everything is booked solid or only has expensive rooms available. The Greenbelt Marriott is over $230 a night, and the Hilton Garden Inn only has rooms on Sunday. All of the hotels in College Park--including the dives--seem to be full.

Michigan
reviews: 26
6. Re: Possible hotel options

Yes, all the places in College Park are booked. The only nearby hotels that had availability (ten rooms) and were less than $200 a night are the ones I listed in my original post.

Maryland
7. Re: Possible hotel options

Have you tried the Inn and Conference Center at the UMD. Also check out the Visitor's Bureau Website at www.visitprincegeorges.com for more options.

Maryland
8. Re: Possible hotel options

Also since most of you all seem to be driving, staying in a nearby city that's not necessarily right at the event location isn't such a bad idea. I don't know of the days and times of the scheduled activities but you could stay a little bit south or north of that area along the beltway and still be accessible to the event. I'll check some places and see what deals I can find and post back.

Maryland
9. Re: Possible hotel options

The conference center at UMUC was the first one to be booked from what a poster on the DC forum stated.

Here are some nearby hotels that are nice hotels. A few of the locations will take about 20 minutes to get to your event but if you are driving it won't be that bad, I don't think that's a long drive to get to where you need to go.

-Hampton Inn/Largo: $159.00. Directly off of I-95 and not too many exits from the event location.

-Greenbelt Marriott: $219.00 (average)

-Courtyard-New Carrollton: $199.00 per night (average)

-Towne Place Suite-Bowie Town Center. (It's not off of I-95 but off of 50 which is easily connected to 95 where the even location is. I don't think it's too far from the site and what's nearby is a plus. Some places to eat, shop, movies, etc.

-Radisson/Largo: $161.50 average rate (cheaper for the weekend rates)

-Sheraton/Beltsville: $159.00

Just a few choices of some clean and nice places to stay that aren't too far from UMD for those that still need a room. Some aren't metro accessible but if you are driving it isn't bad.

10. Re: Possible hotel options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, September 26, 2009