We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in bethesda - is it safe?

Which Bethesda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nowhere
Staying in bethesda - is it safe?

I'm an intern looking for summer accommodations. I'm currently looking at a place to stay near Western Ave and 49th street. How is this area in terms of crime? I know that Bethesda is a relatively expensive area, but I also know that you can end up in nasty bits of DC/MD within a block. Any thought on this area?

Thanks!

Edited: 5:36 pm, June 06, 2013
2 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
reviews: 128
1. Re: Staying in bethesda - is it safe?

That area is perfectly safe. Two items of potential note:

1. depending on which side of Western Avenue the apartment is on, you could be in either Maryland or Washington, DC. Both are perfectly safe, but just an odd distinction there.

2. You are a bit of ways from the nearest Metro station (Friendship Heights), but very close to buses that run on Western Avenue. Not sure how important walking distance to the Metro is for you, but this would be a bit of a hike.

Enjoy dc!

dctravel

Rockville, Maryland
reviews: 56
2. Re: Staying in bethesda - is it safe?

The area you mention is a bit more residential but not far from the Friendship Heights/Mazza Gallery area. You are also not far from the Whole Foods shopping Center (by car) on River Rd. As with any metropolitan area, exercise common sense. Keep cars and houses locked and don't flash valuables.

Good luck!

Reply to: Staying in bethesda - is it safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted