We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

avoiding parking fee at Bethesda Marriott Suites

Which Bethesda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
reviews: 19
avoiding parking fee at Bethesda Marriott Suites

We will be staying at the Bethesda Marriott Suites over a weekend next month. I see that they charge for parking. Has anyone found another place to park free or had any luck in getting the hotel to waive the fee?

Boy, this stuff is infuriating. Yeah, I know they charge for wifi too. *rolls eyes*

Thanks!

Laura

5 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
1. Re: avoiding parking fee at Bethesda Marriott Suites

The Washington Court hotel often has a special which includes parking or breakfast. Only know because we have taken advantage. Why Bethesda?

Pittsburgh
reviews: 19
2. Re: avoiding parking fee at Bethesda Marriott Suites

It's a family party and that's where the rooms were booked.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
3. Re: avoiding parking fee at Bethesda Marriott Suites

Your only legal alternative to avoid pay parking is to park on the street in the residential neighborhood across Democracy Blvd., and then move your car every 24 hours. You might also find rates lower than the Marriott's $15 at the pay lots of the adjacent office parks, but I'm not sure that they're in operation over the weekend or accommodate overnight parking.

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
4. Re: avoiding parking fee at Bethesda Marriott Suites

Rockledge drive (about 1200' away to the east) is an easy walk with metered parking that I believe does not require payments on weekends, including Friday evenings. I think the residential neighborhood across Democracy would also be free and legal on weekends. There are local (Ride-On) buses that would expand your options.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
5. Re: avoiding parking fee at Bethesda Marriott Suites

It's not unusual for residents to be unaware of all the local laws and ordinances--but Sec.31-16 of the Montgomery County Code prohibits parking for over 24 hours on any county street by anyone other than the owner of an adjacent residence or business. In other words--you're allowed to park on the street in front of your own house for as long as you want, but not someone else's house.

Residents don't think about it because we have our own driveways/garages, park in front of our own houses if we don't, or know our neighbors well enough that it's no big deal if and when weekend houseguests occasionally need to park in front of their house because there's not enough space in front of our own.

Enforcement in residential neighborhoods is typically initiated only after resident complaints, and there's always the chance a resident may be concerned about a strange car being parked in front of his/her house for so long (think about if it were your house). The same law applies to a street like Rockledge. You may face less risk of ticketing or towing because there won't be a citizen complaint to bring the police--but realize that the very few cars parked overnight are considered "unusual" given the nature of the street (office parks open banker's hours Monday-Friday). If the same police patrol drives by Saturday night, it's likely they'll remember seeing your car the night before and you could have a problem.

So these are both legal options, but only for 24 hours. If I had to bet, I'd say you won't have a problem on Rockledge stretching this out to an entire weekend. But if I'm wrong--it's your car, not mine.

Reply to: avoiding parking fee at Bethesda Marriott Suites
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted