We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bethesda

Which Bethesda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ellenwood, Georgia...
Bethesda

Planning to come to a convention in Bethesda M at the Lockheed Martin Center for Leadership Excellence , I am a newcomer to the city. Are there any suggestions for somewhere to stay close to this facility? Is this a nice, safe area ?

1 reply
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
1. Re: Bethesda

Unfortunately, my answer has more follow-up questions than actual information--but here goes:

--Will you have a car?

--If you don't have a car--are the organizers arranging transportation shuttles between LM and the downtown Bethesda area? Would you be comfortable taking public transportation (bus) if there isn't a convention shuttle?

--What would you like to do in your "off" time from the convention, and how much off-time is there? You're very close to Washington if you want to play tourist.

--What's your hotel budget? What are your actual travel dates?

Bethesda has a thriving downtown with LOTS of nice restaurants, easy access to Washington via Metro, shops and other great urban amenities--but downtown isn't all that close to LM without a car or arranged transportation. Hotel prices are probably higher than those closer to LM, so it probably wouldn't make sense to stay there if the convention will be taking up all of your time. It would make sense if you have the time and desire to take in the local amenities or make a trip into DC for sighseeing.

The area around LM largely consists of office parks (such as LM's) and a few hotels to house their clientele--also a major higher-end shopping mall--but really isn't navigable without a car.

All that having been said--I think you'll find both downtown Bethesda and the area around LM to be nice and safe by any standard. Knowing the answers to the questions posed will get you a more focused answer as to which part of Bethesda in which you should be staying, along with a specific hotel recommendation.

Edited: 12:18 pm, November 21, 2012
Reply to: Bethesda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted