We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Boston to Maine

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 5
Driving from Boston to Maine

I am planning on flying into Boston in September this yr and would like to see Maine before catching a train down to Centerport Long Island to visit Family, having never driven in the US before would you consider driving from Boston to Maine too challenging for a beginner??

12 replies to this topic
Georgia
reviews: 1
11. Re: Driving from Boston to Maine

Hi AustraliaMum,

I'm going to agree w/Soxfan. When you leave the car rental facility, it's not much more than a 1/4 mile to the highway/tunnel. True there will be traffic, cabs, etc... also on that road, but it's literally a straight shot to the highway, follow the signs and within a few miles you are on the highway headed north to Maine.

No hassle w/expensive connecting flights, buses, trains, different stations, just a straight shot up the highway. And once you are in Maine, you have the freedom to go where ever you want, when you want in the car. You'll need a car really, to see the best of Maine.

If you have time for Acadia, that's where I'd go.

If you are coming in the summer, just avoid heading north up RT 95 on a Friday afternoon or Sat morning,. Things backup at the toll booth in Maine.

Australia
reviews: 5
12. Re: Driving from Boston to Maine

Hi Kevin_from_ America, I am staying in Boston first for four days, then after that going to try for Maine, so I guess I didn't word my request correctly at first :( I would be getting the car after my stay in Boston, then driving from the city up to Maine, and I guess that makes a difference to the question. but thats all good, I have changed my ideas and will probably only do Boston this time around, but if I do change my mind then I will take the option of a flight up to Maine. Have checked the prices and its comparable to getting a car.

Thanks to all for you input and help

Reply to: Driving from Boston to Maine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted