We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Reception: Feedback re: "Grace Restaurant"?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Wedding Reception: Feedback re: "Grace Restaurant"?

This restaurant is on the table for consideration for a wedding reception. I'm hoping for feedback from those who have eaten here and/or attended a wedding here. Thanks!

Hartford...
1. Re: Wedding Reception: Feedback re: "Grace Restaurant"?

The couple does not want to promote a beach or seaside 'theme'; they are drawn to the alternative and non-traditional wedding reception atmosphere of Grace.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. The reception site should be able to accomodate 150+.

The world is their oyster, so to speak, they're considering Portland because of it's unique atmosphere, vibrant restaurant scene and varied lodging options for out of town guests.

Who's the best realtor to contact re. a house rental a week before a Labor Day wedding? Creative planners? Stationers? Any help is appreciated!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 10
2. Re: Wedding Reception: Feedback re: "Grace Restaurant"?

I have no direct experience with Grace, however my niece looked at that when booking her Portland wedding for next summer. For a variety of reasons, she chose the Portland Club:

theblacktieco.com/our-locations/our-exclusiv…

Another venue you might wish to look at is the Ocean Gateway:

visitportland.com/ocean-gateway-portlandmain…

They had a hard time finding a house large enough to house their wedding party in Portland, and have ended up booking at Pine Point in Scarborough. They located their rental through Homeaway.

Hartford...
3. Re: Wedding Reception: Feedback re: "Grace Restaurant"?

Thanks so much. The Portland Club was my first choice but was quickly vetoed by the couple. I think Ocean Gateway might be something that would interest them. I'll pass the information on but Grace is really intriguing them. (and me at this point!) Thanks for your help.

Bremen, Maine
reviews: 26
4. Re: Wedding Reception: Feedback re: "Grace Restaurant"?

I've never attended an event there, only eaten dinner. But if the couple is looking for something different, a bit funky and very cosmopolitan, this would be a good choice. The food is very innovative, not mainstream at all, delicious and very well presented. The venue itself is very cool. I have often thought this this would be a great party space.

The only thing that would strike me as a negative is the space itself as far as accomodating 150+ guests. There is a very large bar that sits in the middle of the main floor. If you put your typical large round wedding tables tables down here in the remaining space, you might not have room for dancing (if the bride and groom want dancing). But since it sounds like the couple wants something a bit different, you might want to have smaller table seating on the upper level (but not sure it can seat 150 people) and leave the lower level open for the bar, dancing and cocktail table seating.

BTW, I just heard on the news this morning that Portland was voted by Forbes magazine as the 11th hippist city in the US.

Hartford...
5. Re: Wedding Reception: Feedback re: "Grace Restaurant"?

sailorgirl200: Thanks for your feedback. It's my understanding there's a 'downstairs' space (a level below the bar level) that will accomodate a large group. I'm thinking cocktail hour would take place on the bar level and the 'promenade level', dinner would be in the downstairs space below the bar level, and then dancing would take place back in the 'bar/restaurant' space.

Many thanks for your food and atmosphere review! That's exactly the sort of vibe they were going for.

Any thoughts on Sonny's for a group gathering of 50 or so people for a little nosh and drinks?

6. Re: Wedding Reception: Feedback re: "Grace Restaurant"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 25, 2013