We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic mid-afternoon activity in Portland?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brunswick, Maine
reviews: 38
Romantic mid-afternoon activity in Portland?

Posting on behalf of someone who is getting married in a teeny ceremony (just the preacher and witnesses) in Cape Elizabeth and looking for something very romantic to do immediately after the ceremony in full wedding dress & tux to pass a couple of hours before taking sunset portraits (6-ish) on the beach at Crescent Beach State Park.

My immediate thought was of a Windjammer cruise a la the Margaret Todd in Bar Harbor complete with champagne. I know there is the Casco Bay Ferry, but I don't know if that's special enough. Is there any kind of regularly scheduled boat ride /cruise service offered by somone else?

They could charter something, but it would be nice if there was something regular scheduled so if the weather was cold they could back out at the last minute without any cancellation penalty.

Any other ideas (that don't involve getting naked?)

Bradley, Maine
reviews: 11
1. Re: Romantic mid-afternoon activity in Portland?

I'm so nontraditional in my idea of fun... so take these suggestions with a grain of salt...

-skipping about Ft. Williams flying kites and having a picnic is fun and how sweet that'll look all dressed up...

-I didn't own a boat when I lived there and felt like the odd man out. So many people would be willing to take you out on theirs if you knew someone. But there are quite a few smaller boats that will take you on a cruise privatley and not very expensively.. there are also harbor cruises, seal watches etc... but..

- If you want to go out on the water... depending what time of day, take the ferry over to Great Diamond Island. (the ferry's are the cleanest i think...) and spend some time at the little tiki bar, if it's still open...

hmm, what else? I'll keep thinking.. I shoot for more traditional stuff... hmm.

Brunswick, Maine
2. Re: Romantic mid-afternoon activity in Portland?

Keep going, you are doing a great job. :)

Maine
reviews: 20
3. Re: Romantic mid-afternoon activity in Portland?

Portalnd has 2 classic schooners in the harbor now, and I know that the Begheera does short (2-3 hours) charter cruises, so your friends might enjoy that.

Learn more at http://portlandschooner.com/

While the ferry is nice, I think a sailboat is more romantic. LHN

Brunswick, Maine
4. Re: Romantic mid-afternoon activity in Portland?

Thanks!