We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saco drive-in?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia pa
reviews: 7
Saco drive-in?

Will be in Portland for three nights the second week in August with a 17 year old and 14 year old (on a side trip from college open houses in Mass.) The boys have never been to a drive-in and I thought I'd surprise them one night and drive to Saco, since I heard that one of the few remaining drive-ins in the US is located there. Is it worthwhile? Or even still open?

Other suggestions for jaded teenagers in the Portland area

Many thanks!

Rockland, Maine
reviews: 5
11. Re: Saco drive-in?

…mainetoday.com/news/york/050731drivein.shtml

Rockland, Maine
reviews: 5
12. Re: Saco drive-in?

And I think USGuy is a little off in his diatribe against OOB. Alot of people go to that beach exactly for the reasons he described...people watching is just one of the great things you can do. It's definitely a honky tonk beach...and makes no effort to make itself anything but. Alot of great old arcade games in the various arcades (pac-man, galaga, etc), a great mini-golf course (Pirates Cove), and no trip is complete without the Pier Fries!!!

Who doesn't like to laugh at 70 year old fat men in speedo's?

Well, thats my 2 cents.

Brunswick, Maine
reviews: 39
13. Re: Saco drive-in?

Peaks has a lot to do, but it can get pretty crowded in the summer.

If you want fewer people, a longer ride on the water, and an island that is reminenscent of "Down East" Maine, stay on the ferry to Cliff Island. It's my very favorite of the Casco Bay Lines islands. I find it much more intriquing, and a lot less crowded. Also, be sure to hang around at the dock and watch the ferry pull off. There is an interesting tradition there.

You can see a lot there on foot.

P.S. Feel free to visit some colleges in Maine, too. In Portland, you'll be an hour or less from a handful of campuses.

philadelphia pa
14. Re: Saco drive-in?

thanks for the suggestions. we will, in fact, be looking at USM-Portland while there. Cliff's Island sounds lovely. Appreciate your advice!

philadelphia pa
15. Re: Saco drive-in?

GREAT article mthibod, we're DEFINITELY going now!