We are looking for "somewhere different" to vacation in 2009. Normally we visit family in Texas or Florida(small town old Florida) and occasionally stop by Atlanta or Asheville, NC(Asheville is a favorite). We are budget travelers with small children who prefer somewhat out of the way, inexpensive vacation rentals. We love the beach (sand), seafood, and relaxing. I am from Pittsburgh (where we live now) but DH is from South Florida and adores the hot sun. I hate it. This is my year to pick where we go, and I am putting my foot down. We've never been north at all which will be exciting but also we have no idea what to expect. During my research I kept coming across Portland, Maine as a destination and thought I would pick everyone's brain.
1. What is the weather like in Maine in the summer months? How about very early fall?
2. Would we fly directly into Portland? What is the least expensive way to travel there from Pittsburgh? Does it make sense to fly into Boston and rent a car?
3. Are there a variety of vacation rentals/cottages? Particularly of the in expensive 2 bedroom variety? Where would I begin to look?
4. Is seafood as prevalent as I think it is?
5. How are the beaches?
6. Would there be plenty to "do" if a person were.. oh say... 3?
7. Any other tips or ideas. Feel free to let me know if you think Portland is not suited for us. I am open to anything as we have plenty of time to prepare!
Thanks in advance!