We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

Which Old Orchard Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa
reviews: 8
old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

good morning to all,im planning to vacation with my 3 toddlers and wife to old orchard beach or ocean city maryland in late june but cant decide on which one to go to.,any advise or recommendation would be appreciated.driving times from my home would be 7 hours to oob, and 9.5 hours to ocm regards paul l.

reviews: 30
1. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

Paul,

I have been to Ocean City, Wildwood, Seaside Heights Etc. and live in Old Orchard Beach. I would say Old Orchard Beach by far is more family orientated. There are ton's of things to do in Old ORchardBeach to keep they busy and contented. Swimming, Miniture golf, arcades, amusement park, water parks etc. In addition OOB is a 15 minute drive to downtown Portland where there is whale watching, lobster boat excursions for kids, light houes , a great childrens museum and lots of stuff for the parents to see also

Bar Harbor, Maine
2. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

I would think the biggest difference is that Ocean City, Maryland has a huge, crowded, high rise hotel, almost big city type of feel. Whereas Old Orchard Beach is more on a human scale with an older, quainter feeling. Would that be at all right, themeinnkpr ?? Just knowing the two areas and looking at the two from the air on Goggle Earth gives one that feeling.

Salisbury, Maryland
reviews: 10
3. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

I live a half-hour from Ocean City, Maryland (but spend much more time each year in Maine).

Ocean City is very popular with families. It has all of the things that Old Orchard Beach has, mentioned above. What makes it most unique is its Boardwalk, which begins at the lower end of town, the Inlet, and continues for 2.5 miles with shops, restaurants, amusements and a tram that you can ride its full length (to 28th Street). This part of Ocean City, the downtown area, has older homes and properties and does not have a big city feel. The high-rises are in the north end of town, in the 100s. So, you have a little bit of both types of resorts. Ocean City has a nice, wide beach. Assateague Island, with its wild ponies that roam the park and the beach (my favorite part of the MD coast), is right nearby. You're also close to several other beach towns within a half-hour drive (the quieter resorts of Fenwick Island and Bethany Beach, DE, and Rehoboth, DE). There's a thread in the OC forum, "What's it like in Ocean City summertime," here on TripAdvisor that has a really good description of OC's feel.

In Maine, we haven't really spent time in OOB, since we go to Maine more for rocky coastline than beaches, but its proximity to activities mentioned above in Portland, lighthouses and Maine's non-beach coastal beauty is a real plus.

Weatherwise, temps at the beach would likely be a little warmer here in late June than in Maine.

Good luck with your trip planning!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 131
4. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

Went to OOB last summer and the the water was pretty chilly, even in early August. I would think the water would be warmer in MD.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
5. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

OC warmer water

OOB more character

OC boardwalk

OOB - New England

OC mini golf

OOB mini golf

Both are fine. Each place will have its Knights to defend its honor.

Personally, I like NE but can tell you that there are over a million people who love OC.

ottawa
6. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

thank you

ottawa
7. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

thanks

Peekskill, New York
reviews: 1
8. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

If u love the beach and u 're a lousy swimmer like me and u have little or growing kids-Old Orchard Beach,Maine is the best. We've been going there in the past so I dont know if the restaurants/eateries are any better as we cooked in the motel.

Peekskill, New York
reviews: 1
9. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

is there a shallow beach (salt water)in Maryland. Bays would be fine, no boats or commuter boats passing around.Thanks

cape cod
10. Re: old orchard beach vs ocean city maryland

I've never been to ocean city, yet!, sounds like a nice place too; but we've gone up to old orchard beach for many, many, summers, and made great memories for the kids. Although the water is cool for me, my kids loved boogie boarding in the waves. OOB is a great family spot, with lots to do.