We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Deposits

Which Old Orchard Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gill, Massachusetts
reviews: 57
Hotel Deposits

Was just wondering, do most Maine hotels charge a full rooms deposit in advance? And do they charge a deposit for "damages"?

We have stayed in some wonderful hotels all over and I just made a reservation for our anniversary in May of next year i Old Orchard Beach, and the hotel already charged my credit card for the full price of the room. They also informed me they charge $100.00 in advance for "possible damages", although I have never been charged this at any hotel. They didn't inform of the $100.00 charge till after the reservation was made.

I didn't think this was the norm.

Boothbay Harbor...
1. Re: Hotel Deposits

It is not uncommon for inns and B&B's to charge the first night as a deposit to confirm your reservation -- are you staying more than one night?

Damage deposits are much more unusual for inns and B&B's, you tend to encounter those more with vacaction home rentals.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 10
2. Re: Hotel Deposits

Where are you booked? If you booked online, all charges should have been clearly stated. If you booked over the phone, I'd call about that $100.00. If the charges make you uncomfortable, I'd book elsewhere where the policies are more in line with your expectations. Harborfields' fee descriptions are accurate.

Maine to California
reviews: 36
3. Re: Hotel Deposits

Deposits and tough cancellation stipulations are common since the area is only busy about 60 days per year and can't afford to have rooms go empty at any time. Haven't heard of the damage deposit except with cash deposits.

I wouldnt worry if the place has plenty of good tripAdvisor reviews.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
4. Re: Hotel Deposits

Call the hotel and ask

5. Re: Hotel Deposits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 06, 2014