We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in October - where to stay??

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 5
Visiting in October - where to stay??

My husband and I are visiting for 2 days in October. We're doing a fall foliage vacation that will include VT, NH and Maine. We were planning to visit the area between Kittery and Portland, but we're not sure which town or hotel we should stay in. We were thinking of the Comfort Suites in Biddeford ($62/nt), and then drive to Portland or Ogunquit for the day, but should we consider staying someplace else? We would like to wander small towns with nice shops and restaurants, and see the scenery. Any suggestions of which town to stay in, and also which hotels/inns are the best/worst?

Boston...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Visiting in October - where to stay??

Ogunquit is my favorite seaside town in this area. We have stayed at the Terrace by the Sea B&B. It is lovely, right on the marginal way, walk to nice shops, restaurants and the beach with interesting tides. The small motel unit or upstairs in the back motel with ocean view are the best rooms.

Boston...
reviews: 18
2. Re: Visiting in October - where to stay??

You might also consider Portsmouth, NH... not to be confused with PortLAND, Maine. It's the next town south of Kittery, and is a great destination for shops and restaurants. It's a quaint, renovated seaport, and home to Strawbery Banke... a historical district that reconstructs the heyday of New England seafaring.

Portsmouth is also very convenient as the main "connecting point" for I-95 (south to Boston, then becomes the Maine Turnpike), Route 1, and the Spaulding Turnpike, which heads to the lakes and mountains of NH.

New York, NY
reviews: 2
3. Re: Visiting in October - where to stay??

I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy staying in Ogunquit much more than Biddeford. Perkins Cove with its shops and restaurants, the Marginal Way footpath by the crashing ocean, a moonlight stroll on the unspoiled 3-mile beach ... it's my idea of heaven.

My hubby and I usually travel here in October. Foliage is unpredictable but, in our experience, it's usually best around or after the 15th. The shrubbery on the Marginal Way turns red, the maples burn, it's just splendid. Easy day trips from Ogunquit include charming Kennebunkport and also the Rachel Carson Nature Preserve, a splendid sight in the fall and an ideal stop on the way to or from K'Port. The mile path is an easy walk.

If, God forbid, it rains, just stop till you drop at the Kittery Malls.

Not sure if you'll find a room rate as low as $62 in Ogunquit but midweek rates here in the fall are very good.

Michigan
reviews: 5
4. Re: Visiting in October - where to stay??

Thank you for all your responses! We're getting very excited about our visit, and hopefully we're not too early for some great fall color. Since our current reservation is cancellable up to 4pm on the day of arrival (Mon 10/10), we've decided to get to Ogunquit around noon, check out the area hotels/motels and make our decision then. Since we're looking for a mon/tues night stay, I'm thinking there will still be availability?? The Gorges Grant looks really nice! Any other places that we should consider? We prefer hotels to b&b's. Thanks again!!

New Haven, CT
5. Re: Visiting in October - where to stay??

The Beachmere on Shore Road is just the best for an October visit. Check it out-you won't be disappointed.

Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit