We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

Which Kennebunkport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 63
Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

We are renting a house at Goose Rocks Beach (Kennebunkport) at the end of June. We have been here twice before so we are somewhat familiar with the Kennebunkport and Ogunquit areas (although any suggestions off the beaten path would be great!). And just a side note, my boys who are 3 and 7 LOVE trains! We did visit the seashore trolley museum in Kennebunkport last time and they thought it was great, so any other train related suggestions would be helpful! Anyway, looking for day trip suggestions that are north of Kennebunkport (within an hour or so) since we haven't been north at all on previous trips. Love picturesque small new england coastal towns! Any suggestions for towns/things to do? Also, last summer we took a lobster boat trip out of ogunquit which was great! Would like to do another lobster boat/cruise type trip for an hour or two, but maybe out of a different town so we see different scenery. Suggestions? Lastly, my boys love lighthouses. The only one we have seen is the Nubble Lighthouse in York. Any other good ones to see? Would like to see the one in Cape Elizabeth this time. Any lighthouses you can actually walk up to the top? Thank you!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 10
1. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

If your boys like trains, I think you should head to Portland:

http://www.mainenarrowgauge.org/train-rides/

Depending on the 3-year-old's patience level, you could check out the Portland Observatory. It's not a lighthouse, but you can go up inside. The only issue might be that they only do it by tour:

http://portlandlandmarks.org/observatory/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Observatory

Addison Cty, VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 31
2. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

We might be there that week too! LOVE Goose Rocks.

Funtown in Saco is a small amusement park that we always hit up for an afternoon. They also have a waterpark.

We usually go into Portland once or twice. I like going on one of the ferry rides - the mailboat ferry is really interesting and you get to see quite a few different islands but it could be a tad long for the kids.

http://www.cascobaylines.com/

You can also go to Portland Sea Dogs game.

Exeter, New...
reviews: 31
3. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

If you are staying in Kennebunkport, and your boys love trains then you HAVE TO go the Kennebunkport,s "Seashore Trolley Museum". It's hands on train museum. They will love it.

http://www.trolleymuseum.org/

reviews: 66
4. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

We go to Kennebunkport every summer, kids 5 and 14.

Last summer we went to LLBean. It was closer than I thought. They have great walk on adventures some free , some for little money. My oldest and hubby did the clay shooting. Not for young people of course but they thought the instructors were awesome and it was well put together. Check out their web site for stuff for younger ones.

We also really enjoy the lobster boat cruise out of Kennebunkport so much that we went 2 yrs in a row. Its just fun to get out on a boat. We did the whale watch from there and it was 6 hours of my life I'll never get back. Saw nothing!! So boaring.

Did a whale watch trip from Provincetown and it was one of the greatest thing I've ever seen. Didn't know which way to look there were so many whales. Kinda too far for you though.

There's the trolly that runs all around Kennebunkport as public transport.

Renee

5. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Renee, do you have the name of the company you did the lobster boat with? Thanks!

reviews: 66
6. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

Kylies chance.

Buffalo, NY
reviews: 13
7. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

Spec784, what was the name of the lobster boat tour in Ogunquit? Also heading there at the end of june with my 3 year old son. Thanks

8. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

The lobster boat in ogunquit that we went on was with finestkind cruises. They have a website with lots of info!

Buffalo, NY
reviews: 13
9. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

Thanks

feira
10. Re: Things to do with young kids within an hour of Kennebunkport

Laudholm Farm, a seaside nature reserve in Wells,might be interesting for the kids.