We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

Which Kennebunkport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NSW
reviews: 95
Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

Hello from Australia!

We are doing a six day driving trip of New England in October. We are driving from Boston to Kennebunkport for two nights, then on to Jackson NH for a night, and Woodstock VT for two nights.

We will leave Boston on a Monday morning, spending some time in Portsmouth, then driving up the coast to Kennebunkport. We will arrive late afternoon, and are staying at the Captain Lord Mansion. We plan to have dinner at the White Barn Inn that evening.

The next day, we had thought about visiting Portland, but that would mean we would miss out on really seeing Kennebunkport.

So... We are thinking about doing the trolly tour and exploring the shops in Kennebunkport in the morning, then spending the afternoon in Ogunquit, walking the Marginal Way to Perkins Cove, and doing a boat cruise out to the Nubble Lighthouse. Then to Footbridge Lobster for a lobster roll. After this we will drive back to Kennebunkport.

Does this sound like a good plan for the day?

I would also like to try blueberry pie on this leg of the trip. We don't have it in Australia! Is there anywhere in Kennebunkport you would recommend?

Thanks kindly for your help! We can't wait to visit!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
1. Re: Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

not a lot of time to just sit back and relax but doable. I don't recall specific restaurants in KB for BB pie but it is one of my faves. suggest just asking if the pie is homemade and doubt you will be disappointed. If you can find someplace that is a lunch counter homecooking kind of place you will definitely be rewarded. This is probably not in KB port which is the more touristy section but maybe in KB.

NSW
2. Re: Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

No rest for the wicked, as they say! :)

We were planning to visit Kennebunkport and Portland in a day... crazy!! I have now realized I need to focus on the experiences we want to get out of the trip, and this led me to the Kennebunkport/Ogunquit day.

Blueberries are so expensive in Australia, it would cost a small fortune to make a blueberry pie. I love them, and so the thought of blueberry pie is heaven!!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hartford...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

Don't miss the lobster roll at Clam Shack in Kennebunkport, best in the world, if you ask me. In Portsmouth, try Sanders Fish Market for a great lobster roll, Surf was good for dinner. White Barn Inn is AMAZING, I'm sure you will be very happy with that choice.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
4. Re: Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

We've been doing different versions of your trip for 30 years from Los Angeles over our Columbus Day week in Oct. We fly to Boston, and drive up to Kennebunkport for the first two nights. We then move up to Freeport or Boothbay, and then Camden for a couple nights each. From Camden we drive over to Conway and Jackson to view the Pumpkin People Festival.

We've dined 17 times at the White Barn Inn, and have stayed at their Inn numerous times. Then we've tried their sister Inn's, The Beach House, The Breakwater and The Yachtsman. All have the same quality breakfast and afternoon Tea, and they assign you a nice table for dinner at the WBI. The experience is phenomenal. Don't forget to bring a coat and tie.

Our favorite Lobster Roll for lunch in that part of ME, is on the patio at Mable's on Ocean Ave, in KBP where President Bush goes when in town. Generous helping of Lobster. They also have homemade blueberry pie. I have a Lobster Roll every day when in New England, and have tasted them all. Our favorite is at the Harraseeket Lunch in Freeport, but you are not going that far north.

http://www.mabelslobster.com/Home.html

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster:

harraseeketlunchandlobster.com/photos.html

Alisson's in KBP right on Dock Square, have great Lobster dinners where you put the bib around your neck and crack it open yourself. They have good blueberry pie, order it with vanilla ice cream.

http://www.alissons.com/

I think your day is too ambitious to go to Ogunquit the next day, when you can spend quality time in KBP, I'd just drive through on your way up. Though I understand you come from far away and want to cram in sights.

NSW
5. Re: Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

Thanks so much for these wonderful responses. I intend to eat as many lobster rolls as I can while in New England!:) Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I have added all these suggestions to the list.

CA Native, we are very much looking forward to our dinner at the White Barn Inn. It looks magical! We are planning a few special dinners, so my husband is bringing his suit. We seem to only have these special dinners when we are overseas!

I would really like to do a boat cruise where we see a lighthouse from the water, and that is the main reason I thought it would be nice to go to Ogunquit. If there is a good cruise from Kennebunkport, I would be most grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks again!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
6. Re: Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

This last Oct. when we were staying at the Yatchman Lodge ub KBP, facing the water, we saw tourist boats go out of the harbor in the mornings to tour. I'm sure you could find out online the names of the company that suits your needs. I found this:

www.visitmaine.net/lobster_boat_tours.htm

NSW
7. Re: Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

Thank you CA Native. I will do some investigating! If it was possible, your thoughts on Kennebunkport have made me look forward to the trip even more!

Montreal Canada
reviews: 33
8. Re: Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

While in Kennebunkport, there is a place called Bartley's that advertises the best blueberry pie. Do not go in there. The place is kinda creepy and the blueberry pie is watery and overpriced. The best blueberry pie I've had in Maine is in Perkin's Cove in Ogunquit at Barnacle Billy's. I agree with the previous poster about the lobster rolls at the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport. They are excellent. While in Ogunquit, try one at Footbridge Lobster, also in Perkins Cove. We've taken the Nubble Lighthouse cruise out of Perkins Cove in Ogunquit and it's really worthwhile. Enjoy!

9. Re: Kennebunkport and Oginquit for the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 14, 2014