We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Boston

Which Kennebunkport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 17
Trip from Boston

We are arriving by train in Back Bay around 4:30pm on the 9th and are driving up to Kennebunkport for 4 nights returning to Boston on Friday to catch a 4pm train.

For the drive north, is it better to eat in Boston and then drive north after rush hour or try to get out of Boston and stop on the way? Any recommendations? What time would we want to leave to head back to Boston on a Friday?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 129
1. Re: Trip from Boston

By the time you get off the train, get to your car and are ready to head north, you're going to find yourselves in the heart of the evening rush hour -- which isn't really much fun in Boston or points north.... I'd suggest find yourself a place to have a nice meal somewhere near the train station or wherever you're picking up your car, let the traffic clear, and then head north. Much more relaxing -- and much more fun to spend the time you'd be sitting in traffic at the supper table instead.... Not familiar enough with the Back Bay train station area to make restaurant recommendations....but bet the folks on the Massachusetts Forum of Trip Advisor can help you out. To get there, click on the "Forums" link just about your original question, then on "United States", then scroll down to "Massachusetts" and click on it.... when it opens, click on Ask A Question and post your question about good places for dinner near Back Bay Station.

Re: return on Friday -- most of the traffic on Friday afternoon will be northbound -- at least until you get to Boston proper.....when folks are headed out of town in all directions.... I tend to err on the side of caution, but would rather get to the station early than have to run for a train.... Depending on how long you think you'll need to return your car, get organized at the train station, and how far ahead of departure you need to check in, I'l allow myself two-and-one-half to three hours driving time from where I started in K/bunkport to my first destination in Boston....

NJ
reviews: 17
2. Re: Trip from Boston

Thank you for the information

3. Re: Trip from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 10, 2013