We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

Which Kennebunkport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
reviews: 107
Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

My husband and I are visiting for the first time next week (Thurs-Sun) and we need to know what to do in mid-May? I have a business obligation one day and our accomodations are all set, but we need to know the best places to eat (that are open off-season) and what else to do. My hubby loves to fish, and we hope to enjoy some scenic views of the ocean, the town and the beach. We'll be staying near Goose Rocks Beach.

Thanks!!

Montreal Canada
reviews: 33
1. Re: Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

We were in Kennebunkport this past Friday. Almost all of the stores and restaurants are now open. It's a fun port to walk around and have a browse at the shops. If the Clam Shack is open,(it wasn't when we were there), be sure to try their lobster rolls, scallops or fried clams....truly the best we've tasted anywhere and worth every penny. Take a drive up past Walker's Point....breathtaking scenery!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
reviews: 122
2. Re: Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

Uhhh....I don't suppose there's any possibility that you have an unlimited expense account? If so, the best place to eat is The White Barn Inn. This place is nationally known and always is written up in food magazines and travel magazines as one of the top ten places in the country. It's an incredible experience. But it is indeed very, very expensive.

Windows on the Water is a nice alternative for fine dining----high end prices but it probably won't break the bank.

May is early for salt water fishing in Maine----the water is still quite cold (less than 50 degrees) and so the striped bass which are what most people fish for are not yet up here, unfortunately for your husband. I'm not sure about the offshore large game fish such as tuna but I suspect it is too early in the season. He might inquire at Chick's Marina (look for George H.W. Bush's huge cigarette boat while there)as to what's going on fishing-wise---they probably know and can suggest a boat/guide. Otherwise I would suggest he check with the fishermen in nearby Ogunquit. If he's an inland fly fisherman, there are plenty of lakes and streams within half an hour of Kennebunkport. Note: A license is needed in Maine for fresh water fishing, but not salt water.

The area of southern Maine where you are staying has great beauty, so if you really are into just sort of hanging around and seeing things you won't be disappointed. As the previous poster said, just a drive around Walker's point is sort of obligatory. There are several nearby nature preserves, such as Laudholm Farm in Wells, which is lovely and great for bird watching. Agamenticus "Mountain" in Ogunquit is an easy hike with nice view from the summit. Ogunquit has the mile-plus Marginal Way walkway (as well as a lovely beach) that is definitely worth doing, and York also has a cliff-walk/shorepath.

Kittery is full of outlets, if you like to shop.

If you just find there isn't enough to do in the area, Portland is 35 minutes up the turnpike and you'll certainly find enough to keep you entertained. Fine art museum, the Old Port area, historic homes, ferry trips out to the islands, etc.

Welcome to Maine (from an old West Hartford girl) and have a great time!

Hartford...
reviews: 107
3. Re: Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

Thank you! That's excellent information, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Salvador, BA
reviews: 1
4. Re: Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

Another suggestion is Laudholm Farm in nearby Wells, a sanctuary with several different environments, and usually quite peaceful. Might even see a moose or a porcupine, as we have, among other wildlife.

http://www.laudholm.org/stockford.htm

http://www.wellsreserve.org/

Boston...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

Restaurants -

Windows on the Water is closed! It is going to be a function hall.

My favorite restaurants are (you should make resv for all for Saturday night)in no particular order

1. Bandaloop in Dock Square - a bit ecletic, great food, fun atmosphere - 207-967-4994

2. Cape Arundel Inn - prettiest view in town, across from President Bush's home - Great Special Occasion restaurant, a bit dressy but men don't need jackets or ties 207-967-2125

3. Hurricane Restaurant - in Dock Square - Good Food, fun atmosphere - Great Lobster Chowder...Also, can sit in the bar and have a lighter menu 207-967-9111

4. Kennebunkport Inn - Dock Square - Great Food, Awesome Steaks - Yummy Lazy Man's Lobster - Really fun piano bar (especially on Fridays if Flash is playing) 207-967-2621

5. MC Perkins Cove - in Ogunquit about 30 min south of KPT - Best View in Southern Maine by the Chef's who own Arrow's - a five star restaurant...207-646-6263

6. The Ramp & Pier 77 - in Cape Porpoise - about a 10 minute drive from Kennebunkport) - Pretty view. Ramp in downstairs, more casual but small (expect a wait) Awesome Burgers, Great - Great - Great Fish and Chips. Pier 77 is a bit more formal but same great food 207-967-8500

Other things to do - Visit the shops in Dock Square -my favorite is Beach Grass (behind the Pharmacy) great coastal fun gifts and decorating things.

Pretty beach is Parson's Beach (near Laudholm Farm that someone else recommended)

To relax - Cottage Breeze Day Spa & Boutique on Route 9 in Lower Village is a great place to relax and unwind - massage facials etc...Very nice atmosphere and cute gifts.

I hope the weather is good for you - May is kind of

iffy...

Oh and there is always LLBean in Freeport about a 45 minute drive...

Have fun!!!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 10
6. Re: Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

KitKat gave you a great list. I would add Alisson's for local color and Federal Jack's if you like (or would like to try) the Shipyard brews. This is the original location; now most of the major brewing is done in Portland.

Since you'll be near Goose Rocks, drive over to Biddeford Pool and Fortune's Rocks for great beach views of the ocean. If you surf, Fortune's Rocks is a popular beach for catching a wave. (I just watch!) Although there is striper fishing off those beaches, it's too early for that. While you're in that neighborhood, go to the village. There is a small parking lot near the gut with nice views of Wood Island Light.

Boston...
reviews: 9
7. Re: Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

Sorry about forgetting Alissons (Best Lobster Roll) and Federal Jacks (great bar food) - they are two very good ones for casual dining - great atmosphere and I think they have bands late on the weekends...I think my fingers just got tired of typing!

If the weather is good, Arundel Wharf is a fun place for a cocktail outside in the late afternoon...you may even see President George HW Bush drive by in his cigarette boat!

Have fun, KPT is a great place to visit!

8. Re: Going to Kbunkport next weekend-what to do in mid-May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, September 27, 2009