We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 65
Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

If you are from New York, Boston, or any other areas where parking rules are suspended on Sundays or Holidays, please read carefully so you don't fall into the city parking traps.

There are many time-limited parking spaces along the street outside L.L. BEANS. The signs do not specify the days of the weeks the rules are enforced. If you think they are not enforced on Sundays or Holidays (like Labor Day) and you choose to park in those spaces, you will need to pay City of Freeport $30. There are plenty of non-street parking spaces next to L. L. BEANS. Do park at those spaces.

I have called Freeport police department to confirm that the city council make them to go out to issue many tickets on Sundays or Holidays when tourists are coming and confused. All the parking signs in New York clearly specify the rules and exceptions.

L.L. BEANS is the only thing you will want to see at Freeport. You don't want to be surprised to see the parking ticket. This is the only city in the US using this kind of trap to collect tourist money. Be warned.

24 replies to this topic
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 10
1. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

"The signs do not specify the days of the weeks the rules are enforced."

No disrespect intended, but if no days were specified, I'd assume the restrictions were in effect every day. There is so much free parking in the lots and the new garage, I never park on the street in Freeport.

As for: "This is the only city in the US using this kind of trap to collect tourist money." Really??

New Jersey
2. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

I have traveled extensively in US, Europe, and Asia. In US, if the rules are enforced every day, it will definitely say "7 days a week". This applies everywhere. Why make police officer go out to issue tickets for almost every car on the street when plenty of parking spaces are next to street parking? Freeport is not New York where parking spaces are very hard to find. No one will park on the street if they know the city of Freeport want to get their money. As you said, there are plenty of parking spaces around. You are local. That is why you do not park on the street. But visitors do not know this. I am posting this to warn fellow travelers. By the way, making police offers go out to issue parking tickets on Holdays?? Get a life. Is Freeport another city which is going bankrupt? If you are local, you might want to bring this up in your next town hall meeting.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 10
3. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

I will try once more, but I'm assuming you're just mad and don't want the ticket to be your fault. I don't like parking tickets either, so I read any parking sign very carefully. Maine is part of the U.S. Freeport is, too. If it said something like, "one hour parking," then it meant one hour, no matter what day it is. If it said, "One hour parking on week days only," then you would be able to park for as long as you like on weekends. This is not just in Freeport, but many, many places.

I am not a Freeport resident, and even if I were, I would not bring this up. There are many valid reasons for parking limitations, even on Sundays and holidays. The parking lots and the parking garage are easy to find, with many signs and they have no time restrictions.

Maine
4. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

I'm with CB48 on this. If there are not times specified, I assume it applies all the time. In my travels around the country I have never seen a sign which says "7 days a week", but they must be out there if you say they are everywhere.

Perhaps we should change our other signs also.

"No Parking" could become "No Parking Ever"

"Handicapped Parking" could be "Handicapped Parking Always".

Or you could take responsibility for parking someplace longer than you should have and had to pay the consequence.

New Jersey
5. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

I would like to add that parking signs in New York always have the time frame such as "8:00AM to 6:00PM" or other complicated combination so reading sign carefully is a must. There is no time frame specified here in Freeport so theoretically tickets can be issued at 12:23AM.

New Jersey
6. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

I am not mad and please be reasonable. No parking mean no parking. There is no confusion. What is the reason not specifying time frame and day of the weeks on a parking sign in a place like Freeport? It is a trap.

New Jersey
7. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

Folks, read this link newyorkparkingticket.com/guide-to-parking-si… . If Sundays are included, it is clearly specified. For the record, this link is to warn fellow travelers not to park on the street in Freeport. It serves the travel community. People have different opinions and that is what make a market in the financial world.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
reviews: 121
8. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

You offered your own explanation in Post # 6...

" No parking means no parking."

Nothing complicated about that... adding unnecessary lettering to signs makes them more expensive, takes drivers longer to read, and often leads to increased confusion....

The reason for the Sunday and Holiday enforcement in Freeport, I suspect, is because those days are some of the busiest times for the numerous stores along Main Street in Freeport. No Parking restrictions are usually used because of issues related to crosswalks, sight distances, turning radii, or other traffic safety concerns. Those conditions are made worse, not lessened, when weekend and holiday traffic crowd downtown Freeport. Keeping No Parking areas clear is not a matter of generating revenue, it's a matter of keeping busy streets safe for drivers and pedestrians....

That's why "No parking means no parking" ....regardless of the day of the week or the calendar...

Nova Scotia
reviews: 135
9. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

From a Canadian point of view.....sorry theoldtimer....I am with the people of Maine on this one. If the sign doesn't specify exemptions to the rule, then I assume that the parking rules are enforced ALL the time, not certain days of the week. No parking means no parking.... The signs here in Nova Sotia are the same as the ones in Maine. Unless there is an exemption specified, the rules apply all the time. It is not a trap for unsuspecting visitors. It is straightforward. No parking. Period. Mainer on the Go explained it quite well in his last posting.

As for getting the police out on a weekend or holiday to enforce parking....my husband is a police officer and he works all year round, not just Monday to Friday, and he certainly works holidays and weekends, as I can vouch for the many Christmas Days I spent alone with my children. I will let him know that you prefer that he enforce the laws Monday to Friday only.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
reviews: 120
10. Re: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS

In NYC all the signs have times listed. That is the norm for NYC (and some of the other larger cities in the state). I have relatives in other parts of New York, I travel there all the time and I've lived there. In the smaller towns there may or may not be hours listed. If there are no hours or days listed it's understood that the parking rules apply all the time. It's really not that unusual. It is a good warning, however, for those folks coming from the NYC metro area who may not be used to it.

Reply to: Warning: parking trap on the street outside L.L. BEANS
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted