We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bowdoin College Area - HELP

Which Brunswick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newton...
Bowdoin College Area - HELP

Just looking for hotels and where to go to eat and have some drinks in the area for a weekend stay. Heading up in April and would like to be close to everything. Where is the best place to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Madison, Maine
reviews: 85
1. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

There is a B&B that I always heard nice things about when I lived in Brunswick. It is named the Brunswick Inn on Park Row. (http://www.brunswickbnb.com/)

That location right on the grassy mall area in the center of downtown means that you are 5 minutes or less walking to the Bowdoin campus, a few cute coffee houses, plenty of little shops and a number of eating establishments. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3377-A_taste_f…

Enjoy!

Maine
reviews: 1
2. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

Prior post includes great info on eateries.

Take a look at this previous thread in the Brunswick forum for more info on places to stay and eat:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g40541-i2649-k1009…

Hope you enjoy your visit. Brunswick is a nice town with lots going on.

If you are interested at all in antiquing, there is a large antique mall in the old Fort Andross Mill at the end of Maine Street on the river.

A must-do if you have a sweet tooth or need to buy a gift to take home is Simply Divine Heavenly Brownies. They have been featured on the Today Show and Rachael Ray and included in Oscar nominee/presenter gift bags. (No, I'm not associated with this company.) They are currently in another part of the mill building, but I understand that they will be moving to Maine Street very shortly and should be there before your visit.

Lewiston, Maine
reviews: 40
3. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

For eating in Brunswick (near the B&B that was suggested) is The Great Impasta. One of the best Italian restaurants in all of Maine. For a taste of microbrew beers Sea Dog has a restaurant just across the bridge in Topsham (walking distance from Brunswick town green). The antiques flea market and Simply Divine brownies are in a mill just across the street.

Have fun in Maine! I love my home state...

new york
reviews: 22
4. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

10 miles south is the Freeport area and there are many places to eat and eat.The shopping at ll bean is available 24 hrs a day for early risers or insomniacs.The tavern at the Haraseekett Inn has some good food and drink,there rooms are hit and miss,we have had lovely stays and a dreadful moldy room on one visit.

Brunswick, Maine
reviews: 38
5. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

I live in Brunswick, and have previousoy outlined my recommendations in the thread that Downeast referenced. My faves locally are The Great Impasta, El Camino and Wlid Oats. Another good breakfast spot--the Broadway Deli. El Camino and Back Street Bistro have nice bars with home made ingredients in their drinks.

The Brunsick B&B on Park Road would put you close to everything and the Middle Bay Farm B&B would put you out in a lovely rural area with water views. Can't miss with either one.

None of the chain hotels put your right in the middle of town. They are all out on the highways.

On Saturday or Sunday you might want to hit the brunch at Thorne Hall, the dining hall on the ground floor of Coles Tower, the tallest building on the Bowdoin Campus. The choices are extraordinary. Only downside is that brunch doesn't start until 11. See bowdoin.edu/dining/information/hours.shtml

Have a good visit!

Topsham, Maine
reviews: 9
6. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

I agree with MicheleS on her recommendation for Back Street Bistro. If you are in town for a few nights I would make that a definite for dinner one of the nights.

Others mentioned Sea Dog Brewing Co., while it is FANTASTIC for beers I would not recommend eating there. Not that the food is absolutely terrible, it is just that there are much better other options around (but definitely visit for a few microbrews)!

Others really like Henry and Marty's on Maine Street as well (yes, that is how we spell "Main Street" in Brunswick). Other options would be Pedro Oharas for more of a pub atmosphere and decent Mexican food (and Irish fare). Joshua's is a bar and restaurant on Maine Street as well, although I'd recommend it more maybe as a lunch option or for drinks... Mostly locals at Joshua's.

Maine
reviews: 2
7. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

Wanted to chime in on the Brunswick Inn on Park Row it is a lovely B&B with charming, beautiful rooms and a wonderful breakfast (I wish they’d let us local come and eat it). I also agree with recommendations for Back Street Bistro, Henry and Marty’s and Great Impasta- Back Street has a steak that is wonderful. I would not suggest Sea Dog for a meal as it is as inconsistent as they come and you never know what you will get…I have had the same luck with Pedro O’Hara’s as well as very long waits. El Camino for Mexican is excellent-get there before 6 to get a table. There is also a new restaurant called The Frontier that is in what is called Ft. Andross- large brick mill building on Brunswick side of the green bridge- you cannot miss it. Service soup, sandwiches and all kinds of beer in a beautiful location looking over the damn, river and rocks- often get to watch the bald eagles soar by. They have done a wonderful job of saving the best of the old mill for this restaurant. Enjoy your time here and bring us some spring!

Cumberland Center...
reviews: 7
8. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

Check Midcoast Chamber web site

midcoastmaine.com/where-to-stay/hotels-motel…

My favorite is Sebasco Harbor Resort, it has the essence of 1950's Catskill resort with the rocky Maine coast. We used to host weekends there for cars enthusiasts.

http://www.sebasco.com/

Ridgefield...
reviews: 96
9. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

I stayed at the Brunswick Inn on Park Row last summer while visiting my son at school. It has very nice rooms and a great breakfast!

10. Re: Bowdoin College Area - HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 23, 2009