We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

Which Playa Maroma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
reviews: 5
How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

I've been looking on Google maps and it looks like Iberostar Grand is relatively close to SMB. Does anyone know how long it would take to walk there? I would like to see how nice the IG beach is as a reference for future trips.

Thanks!

Kennewick...
reviews: 36
1. Re: How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

You can walk down there in 30 minutes or less...nice walk. Taxi takes about 10 minutes.

Mainesburg...
reviews: 12
2. Re: How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

You can indeed walk there , walk north from SMB , and as surfnorthwest posted it is about a 30 min. walk , the Grand is the first resort of the Iberostar complex you will come to , the beach there is nowhere near as nice as the beach at SMB .

cheshire
reviews: 4
3. Re: How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

A 30 minute walk down the beach :) really not far at all

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 23
4. Re: How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

Depending on the tide you may want to bring your flip flops with you. We did not need them, but some have mentioned needing shoes because of the tide and there have also been mentions of trash on the beach that you wouldn't want to step on with bare feet.

I also wouldn't characterize the beach at the Grand "no where near as nice as SMB." The beach at the Grand is very nice. Wide and soft sand. The Grand does have some flat iron shore rocks directly in front of the middle of the resorts beach, however there are plenty of safe places to enter the water that are rock free.

Colleyville, Texas
reviews: 8
5. Re: How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

We've made the walk. 30 minutes is a good estimate. Due to trash on the beach and a couple of rock points, I agree with those that say to bring shoes. Also bring something to drink, it gets hot.

I also have to agree with "the beach there is nowhere near as nice as the beach at SMB" comment. Just my opinion.

Rio

Richmond, BC
reviews: 15
6. Re: How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

I am just back from Catalonia Playa Maroma - next door to SMB, and the walk is very nice now with less trash that we saw on a trip before few years ago. You will be going to your left (North) if facing the sea. You pass CPM first, then Maroma resort&spa non-AI very expensive, then there is a part of the undeveloped beach and unfinished villas/condo project - we saw it started 4 years ago and they are still at about the same state, starting to disintegrate now due to weather impact and elements! Then you are at the end of Maroma bay and there is a rocky tip. Was very passable this year. As you get around the corner, you see the Paraiso bay with all 5 Iberostars on it starting from Grand.

I also have to agree with "the beach there is nowhere near as nice as the beach at SMB" comment. You have to stay on that central part of Maroma beach with its 3 resorts to appreciate it - flat, white, very thin sand, quiet and wide open. There is also one problem with the Grand beach - due to the sun setting inland (West) and the beach facing the sea (East) the shade from the big beach front building covers all the Grands beach in the late afternoon.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 5
7. Re: How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

I think it took us around 20 minutes to walk from SMB to the Grand. You can also take a hobie up there and get an ocean view of the beach. The IBG beach is very nice. The water is not as blue or clear as maroma but still very nice. There is an area of rocks to the south as you are coming up from SMB but not a problem. The resort looks gorgeous. The only reason we don't visit is that the DH absolutely refuses to make dinner reservations before we leave on vaca.

8. Re: How far from SMB is Iberostar Grand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, today
Get answers to your questions about Playa Maroma