We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

Guayaquil, Ecuador
reviews: 1
Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

Hi there, I'll be going to Secrets Maroma Beach in September and have been reading the forum for some travel tips and whatnot. Here's my question: Is it better to book transfer service from airport to my hotel in advance or just get a taxi on arrival?

The companies I've seen so far (Cancun Transfers, USA Transfers) are charging around $80 for a round trip for two.

Also, we're planning on heading to La Quinta Avenida for a few hours one day and taking a trip to Tulum and Xel Ha. What's the best way for getting around? Just hail a taxi? Make prior arrangements? Maybe even rent a car?

13 replies to this topic
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
1. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

the taxis out of the airport will likely cost the same one way as the round trip with USA or Canada Transfers

Day trips - use a taxi, or colectivo (local white vans that run the hwy) - renting cars are an option as well

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 6
2. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

I highly recommend Cancun Transfers. We have used them several times, once to Secrets Maroma as well. Service is spot on and you can make your reservation online and pay driver with American $$$ when you arrive.

Montclair, New...
reviews: 41
3. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

we have been using USA Transfers, great service, highly recommended!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 70
4. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

USA Transfers are great. Book ahead on the Internet. They are prompt on getting you to your hotel. You pay them cash or pesos on arrival at hotel. Then when its time to return to the airport they are prompt again. Just a great company. Don't forget to tip each way because you will probably have different drivers.

Edited: 9:03 pm, July 28, 2013
ohio
reviews: 65
5. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

We have a trip booked for December. Last trip we stood and waited for our transfer, I noticed several taxis sitting a few feet away with people just walking up getting in and away they went while I waited for our transfer. I plan on taking a taxi on our next trip. Please let us know how this works out for you.

lancashire
reviews: 32
6. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

We used Cancun valet they were excellent.

Massachusetts
reviews: 22
7. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

takeme2Coz - the problem with taking a taxi from the airport is that you will pay a lot more due to their strict regulations. I think I saw another post of yours about taking a taxi and wanted to mention it to you anyway.

If you use USA Transfers, you will be out of the airport in minutes. And, I think their round trip, private transfer will be the same, if not less than than booking through your travel company. Companies like Apple, always charge more for even shared transfers, than what you'd pay booking on your own for a private transfer. There are other companies you can research here, but we've used USA Transfers for a few years now, very reliable, always on time.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 27
8. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

We booked USA transfers last time and again this coming trip. I like knowing my vehicle is waiting for me and will get me to my destination. I don't have to worry about getting in the wrong vehicle. The driver will even stop at a gas station so you can get beer or snacks for the drive if you want.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
9. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

USA Transfers, AGI, Cancun or Canada Transfers all great companies

10. Re: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, July 30, 2013

Reply to: Booking a transfer from airport vs getting a taxi on arrival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted