We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any of new I-49 open between Shreveport and Arkansas line?

Which Shreveport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
reviews: 27
Any of new I-49 open between Shreveport and Arkansas line?

I know construction is going on for most of this route, but is any of the new highway open yet? I realize it might not yet be signed as I-49 but is any of it usable as part of a through route north to Texarkana?

As a separate but related question, coming up from Alexandria is it currently worth going around Shreveport on I-220, or is it better to go through Shreveport on 71?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Ogden UT
reviews: 4
1. Re: Any of new I-49 open between Shreveport and Arkansas line?

Basically better to follow this route> Exit I-49 at LA 3132 (The inner loop Expressway or Terry Bradshaw Passway) Take 3132 N (or west if you will) toward "DALLAS" 3132 is a full freeway that becomes I-220 at the intersection of I20. It is 4.5 miles further, but traffic from downtown to N. Market street CAN add the time. In clear traffic Google maps estimates it at roughly the same time.

No none of the new freeway is opened. Per DOTD it will open from LA1 to Myra-Myrtis road at the same time around the middle of September of 2013. The part from Myra- Myrtis Road to US 71 North of Belcher is complete but will not be opened early.

Pittsburg, Texas
2. Re: Any of new I-49 open between Shreveport and Arkansas line?

Glad to see this project near completion. Now the real hard part of I-49 starts. That is going north out of Texarkana to Missouri.

Story link on I-49, click below:

www.houmatoday.com/article/20130929/AP...

Edited: 7:11 am, September 30, 2013
Key West
3. Re: Any of new I-49 open between Shreveport and Arkansas line?

Is there any word regarding a partial opening of I 49? It was my understanding that the section from LA1, just North of Shreveport, to Texarkana was set to be opened last month (Sept 2013). Hopefully the state of Arkansas takes the project as serious as Louisiana did, and gets to work on the stretch from Texarkana to Ft. Smith.

Fort Smith
reviews: 60
4. Re: Any of new I-49 open between Shreveport and Arkansas line?

From Gilliam south to LA 538, the road is expected to open by Thanksgiving 2013.

Gilliam to Doddridge Arkansas may be sometime in 2014. LA 538 to Shreveport will likely be 2015 or 2016.

Texarkana, Arkansas
reviews: 2
5. Re: Any of new I-49 open between Shreveport and Arkansas line?

I 49 has opened 24 miles of new interstate from North Market in Shreveport to Gillam,

Edited: 6:56 pm, November 28, 2013
Reply to: Any of new I-49 open between Shreveport and Arkansas line?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted