We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

Which Baton Rouge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 3
Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

Will be going to Baton Rouge in April, for a week. What places would you suggest that are must, to experience the flavor of the area? It could be a neighbor, historic, attractions, and of course good food. We will have a car. Been to New Orleans, we fell in love with the city and its people. After 4 years in a row, we wanted to try a new place.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
reviews: 16
1. Re: Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

April is a wonderful time to visit Baton Rouge and explore south Louisiana. Downtown Baton Rouge has gone through a rebirth over the past few years. With its museums, governmental buildings, restaurants and entertainment venues, I think you would enjoy spending time there. Be sure to go to the top of the Shaw Museum of Art and catch a fabulous view of the Mississippi River. Tsunami, a sushi restaurant with a view, is located there...very popular. You can make reservations on opentable.com if it's a weekend. The Manship Theater there may have some interesting entertainment the week you are here. I would look into staying at Hotel Indigo downtown. You will be able to walk to everything once you park the car!

You can plan a day trip from there to explore the plantations and history of St. Francisville, a 45 minute drive north of the City. Take the new bridge which links St. Francisville with New Roads on False River. It's a small town but has some beautiful homes on the horseshoe lake and local restaurants like Ma Mama's.

When you visited New Orleans, did you see Laura Plantation and Oak Alley? That would be another day trip south of town. You could take the bridge downtown across the Mississippi, stopping at Nottoway in White Castle and continue down the river to see Oak Alley and Laura. It would be a full day so maybe just a visit to Nottoway would be enough. Nottoway is our favorite with a very good tour/history.

Baton Rouge has wonderful restaurants. For finer dining, Mansur's on the Boulevard, Juban's, Ruffino's and Galatoire's which just opened last week. Beausoleil and Parrain's (for cajun food and oyster specials on Tuesday nights) are excellent. For a little drive, Roberto's on the River Road really is a must do while you are here. They are open for lunch and dinner on most days (closed on Sundays and maybe Mondays so check). There are also many good chain restaurants in the Towne Center area where Whole Foods is located (that is an experience in itself).

Save one night for Perkins Rowe, a residential, shopping area with several good restaurants. There is also a movie theater and a lovely fountain with outdoor seating. Bistro 77 and California Pizza Kitchen are favs.

I think you would enjoy driving through the LSU campus. It has become a pedestrian campus which means you will not have total access to the campus until 4:30 pm during the week and on weekends. Make a stop at Mike the Tiger's new home across from LSU Tiger Stadium. There is a nice gift shop for LSU things next door. If the weather is nice, drive a short distance to the LSU lakes and take a walk/jog. This is a very popular thing to do.

A week may be a little too long here so you may want to consider a couple of nights in the Lafayette area where you can explore Cajun Country. A trip to Avery Island in New Iberia where they make Tabasco sauce is always interesting and would be a beautiful drive that time of year. We like to stay at Buchanan Lofts in Lafayette.

Are you interested in birding? I have never driven it but there is a Creole Nature Trail in southwest Louisiana that you may want to look into. Lake Martin near Breaux Bridge also would be great that time of year and swamp tours are offered there.

I hope that I've given you a few ideas. If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to email back. I just saw a wonderful article posted on TA which was written by a visitor to Breaux Bridge area that you may find helpful.

Baton Rouge, LA
reviews: 5
2. Re: Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

The Louisiana state museum downtown is really nice. In April, Live After Five should be going on--free concerts downtown every Friday. I would suggest doing a downtown day on Friday if you're here over a Friday. There will be good crowd at Tsunami that day for sure, and there's usually a lot of activity all over downtown on those Fridays. Hit the museum during the day, and there are some good lunch venues. Then catch Live After Five and wander around downtown in the early evening.

The Indigo and the Hilton Capitol House are both very nice. Right across the street from each other.

A bit of time in Lafayette is a great idea too. And Avery Island is one of my favorite places.

3. Re: Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

You both have given me hope. I was afraid this was going to be a topic with no response. A friend of mine is playing in a tournament at Bocage Racquet Club, 7600 Jefferson Hwy, Baton Rouge, LA 70809. So we will be picking a hotel out there. It looks like great ideas you have come up with. Please list more if anything else comes to mind.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
4. Re: Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

Glad we gave you hope; just sorry that it was so delayed! Our community has been dealing with 13" of rain over the past two weeks but finally things have improved with gorgeous weather.

If you want to stay near Bocage, you may want to look into Best Western Richmond Suites. I have had friends stay there over the years and they love it. It's in a great location and the suites are very large and include breakfast. This property is next door to Mansur's on the Boulevard and in walking distance to other restaurants, a movie theater and Barnes & Nobles. Also a very short distance to Towne Center which is across the street from Bocage.

5. Re: Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

Is there an area where local shops and restaurants are? Where to go for some live music?

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
6. Re: Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

What type of local shops? Baton Rouge is blessed with lots of good restaurants in various areas of town. Downtown would be a good spot for live music. I think you would enjoy the Live After Five suggestion from another contributor. Give us more specifics and we'll respond.

7. Re: Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

I don't want to go to chain stores maybe some boutiques. The same with restaurants, I want places that you would say that I have to try.

8. Re: Wanting to find Baton Rouge Experience!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 30, 2014