We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise from locals please !

Which Baton Rouge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
reviews: 49
Advise from locals please !

Hi, I am planning a trip in March starting in Houston, then to Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Memphis, possibly Nashville, Little Rock, Dallas and back to Houston.

Travelling from the UK as a lone female who has travelled the US many times before. I am looking for some advise from some "locals" as to where to and where not to visit, and ny other useful info please so I can plan how long I need in each place.

Any infor greatfully accepted.

Many thanks

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
reviews: 16
1. Re: Advise from locals please !

We're going to need some more information about your interests, etc. I'm assuming that you have never traveled to this part of the US before. I'll be glad to help you when you respond.

Norwich, United...
reviews: 49
2. Re: Advise from locals please !

Hi, i didnt say much about my interests so as not to limit peoples suggestions, and hopefully that way i may do things that i would not have concidered otherwise. I am not a big fan of traditional museums though !

So far i have travelled the West coast of the US, from New York down to Richmond and inland to Philly and Washington, from Chicago to Toronto and done route 66, so i have travelled a fair bit. I have not been to any of the places that i have mentioned before though.

Louisiana
reviews: 9
3. Re: Advise from locals please !

I live in Baton Rouge. Best advice, if you're coming from Houston, stop in Lafayette skip over Baton Rouge, head straight down to New orleans.

However, once you hit Baton Rouge, get on River Road...you'll hit several lovely plantations.

BR is blah. Was settled mostly by the English. You want to be where the French and Spanish made their mark: Lafayette and New Orleans.

Have fun!

Washington DC...
reviews: 48
4. Re: Advise from locals please !

Ha NOLA1176 - you said BR is blah, I was going to say Little Rock is blah! Kelly B, is there any reason you are going to Little Rock? I live in DC so maybe I am biased, but I found Little Rock to be incredibly boring.

Baton Rouge...
reviews: 190
5. Re: Advise from locals please !

Baton Rouge was settled by the Spanish, then the French and also the Germans. The English came last. Spanish Town is an interesting, funky neighborhood for just walking through, if you like that kind of thing.

The Rural Life Museum is not your traditional museum. It is one of the few outdoor museums in the country. The focus is on rural life in the 1830s -- life off the plantations. Most of the buildings are authentic and were moved there in the 1960s and 1970s. Windrush Gardens are also on the grounds and the azaleas should be in bloom.

The Old State Capitol -- we call it "Hogwarts on the Mississippi" -- and New State Capitol, which is an Art Deco gem are downtown and walking distance from each other. Also in that area is the Louisiana State Museum. It is not a "typical" museum -- well, the first floor is more or less, although it does have a real shrimp boat, but the third floor is definitely different. It provides exhibits on each region of Louisiana and includes a dozen or so listening stations which present the history of the music of Louisiana. If you're into music, you definitely want to spend time there. There's also an exhibit on Mardi Gras.

LSU campus is worth a look, if you want to get out and walk around. Mike the Tiger has a million-dollar habitat; he's one of only two live animal mascots in the U.S.

Magnolia Mound plantation is not bad, but you'll see plenty of plantation homes on the drive down to New Orleans. It might be worth going to it because it is more typical of the average home than the ones on the River Road.

Oh, and if you're going to Little Rock, head over to Hot Springs. It's really fantastic.

Edited: 1:28 pm, March 06, 2013
6. Re: Advise from locals please !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 08, 2014