We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf between Baton Rouge & New Orleans?

Which Baton Rouge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Danbury, Connecticut
reviews: 7
Golf between Baton Rouge & New Orleans?

Looking forward to our 10th(?) New Year's trip to N.O. No one raves about N.O. golf so I'm thinking about a 2-for-1 plan: a day trip to Baton Rouge which should make 20+ golf courses 'easy' to get to with a rental car. Not looking forward to the internet research so I'm hoping you folks can short cut that task with your peosonal experience. We suck at golf, so we're not necessarily looking for a pro course. I'm hoping for a course that reminds me I'm in LA, not New England. To be honest, any course would suffice, but I'd love to hear your favorite course between NO & BR and why it's YOUR favorite. The "best" course for us would give us the "best bang for our buck", I'll try to decide between renting clubs or shipping my own. I'd appreciate any advice on YOUR preference between renting or shipping also. THANKS!!!!

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
reviews: 16
1. Re: Golf between Baton Rouge & New Orleans?

I will give you a full review soon. Could you spend one or two nights in the Baton Rouge area? That would really open up your options.

SS (husband of "ILoveLouisiana.")

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
reviews: 16
2. Re: Golf between Baton Rouge & New Orleans?

A lot of great golf choices in the Baton Rouge area. If you could stay over a night you could play a couple of really nice courses. The Bluffs, Beaver Creek, Copper Mill are all north of the city, but not too far. In town, Santa Maria (public, runs along a bayou) could be the best fit for y'all, or The University Club (private, but I could get you on). South of town is The Island in Plaquemine. Nice, alligator filled course (you wanted local color, right?) but it is on the west bank of the Mississippi River so you need to cross a bridge and then drive 20 minutes to get to it. In New Orleans, the TPC of Louisiana is a pro-style course, but you could play from the forward tees and have fun there. It is a little more expensive, but all of the TPC courses are VERY well kept and well-run. The hidden jewel of New Orleans is Audubon Park Golf Course. Right in the heart of the city, near the Audubon Zoo and Tulane, it is par 62 but a very fun layout, with some challenging par 3s. The setting (live oaks and native birds galore!)makes this a really fun round of golf.

If you need more specifics, please feel free to call me on my cell, 225 335 7116. Thanks, Steve (husband of ILoveLouisiana).

Danbury, Connecticut
reviews: 7
3. Re: Golf between Baton Rouge & New Orleans?

Thank you so much for the very useful info!!! My buddy didn't sound crazy about renting a car, so based on that and your review, I think we will actually try Audubon in New Orleans first. Club rentals are $30, $40, or $50 so I think I will just rent also. Again, thank you very much!

4. Re: Golf between Baton Rouge & New Orleans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 28, 2013