We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is BR suitable for a family break with young kids?

Which Baton Rouge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Is BR suitable for a family break with young kids?

We are staying with relatives in Dallas in December but my husband has always wanted to go to Louisiana so we are considering taking a few days break in Baton Rouge. Our kids are 1 and 4. We are not really up for visiting amusement parks as they are a bit young to enjoy them.

Is it safe for us to drive and walk around during the day and will there be enough to do for a 3/4 day visit?

Thanks

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
reviews: 16
1. Re: Is BR suitable for a family break with young kids?

If you could be more specific about your husband's interests in visiting Louisiana, that would be helpful in making suggestions. Baton Rouge is safe but since you are traveling with small children, I really want to be able to give you ideas which will make your trip easier and enjoyable.

Brighton, United...
2. Re: Is BR suitable for a family break with young kids?

Thanks for the response. He has travelled a lot in the States but has never been to that part of the South and really wants to see it; the plantations, history etc; just soaking up the atmosphere really. However I am a bit more practical and want to know that there will be things to do and see rather than just wandering about! I have been scared off New Orleans by a pretty horrific documentary screened in the UK lately so wouldn't feel comfortable taking them there.

To give you an idea of what we like we enjoyed doing a tour of the historic stockyards in Fort Worth and seeing the cow parade last time we were over and visit a lot of castles, stately homes, gardens etc in the UK which often have some limited activities for kids (worksheets, animals to pet, dressing up etc) - something cultural but with handy distractions for kids is what we want essentially!

Thanks

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
reviews: 16
3. Re: Is BR suitable for a family break with young kids?

Could you send me your specific dates in December that you will be here? There will probably be some Christmas activities going on but I would need the dates. I'm sorry that you are scared of New Orleans. IMO, there is no place like it in the world with lots of culture, wonderful food, and fun things to do with young children.

Brighton, United...
4. Re: Is BR suitable for a family break with young kids?

Between 18 December and 22 December

Thanks

BATON ROUGE, LA
reviews: 37
5. Re: Is BR suitable for a family break with young kids?

Yes, Baton Rouge is safe day or night. You have to watch the area of town you stay in. I will get back to you with suggestions. I have live here for 40 years and a father of a 7 year old little boy.....we are always safe.

Bossier City, LA
reviews: 2
6. Re: Is BR suitable for a family break with young kids?

It truly saddens me that you have been scared off New Orleans by a BBC documentary. I am from the UK and lived there for 28 yrs. and I feel that New Orleans is very safe and for me the area where tourists frequent has spread substancially due to it being safer than when we first started visiting. You will find crime in any major city and New Orleans is no different. But I really feel you will be missing out on something special if you don't visit America's most interesting and special city.

7. Re: Is BR suitable for a family break with young kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, December 16, 2013