We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Express location

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redlands, California
reviews: 30
Holiday Inn Express location

Several years ago a friend and I stayed at the Downtown HIE (near UK) when we came for the Kentucky Derby. We're planning on coming back and the HIE "North-East" is a little cheaper. There really wasn't anything like restaurants in walking distance from the Downtown HIE, so we wondered if the North-East location might be acceptable. (We'll have a car.) But not if its in an icky part of town! Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.

Pittsburgh
reviews: 101
1. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

The HIE Northeast name has always puzzled me, as it is actually northwest of Lexington, right off of New Circle Road. I have not stayed there, but am familiar with its location, and it is not in a bad part of town and has some stores and restaurants nearby (plus you can jump on New Circle Road and get to a lot of other locations fairly quickly). If you look at the TA ratings, it is also still rated very high even though it has now been open a couple of years:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g39588-d1026…

Redlands, California
2. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

Thank you--it does rate very well, other than one disgruntled non-stayer--there's always one! We plan on having a couple of "nice" dinners during our stay but the sub shop sounds perfect to grab dinner after a long day at Churchill Downs (plus it will by then be all we can afford, LOL).

Lexington Ky
reviews: 56
3. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

This location is only about 5 minutes from downtown. Jefferson St is close and there are several good choices for dinner. Nick Ryan's and Grey Goose are both good for dinner and further down is West 6th Brewery. Parking can be challenging but once you park there's a free trolley you can take anywhere downtown

Edited: 9:48 pm, February 14, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 12
4. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

I actually live very near the area of the HIE NE. It's definitely not a bad area. I'd suggest it over the downtown HIE just because of its proximity to the interstate, downtown & New Circle Road. If you're coming for the Derby you can hop right on Leestown Rd which is also US-421 and take it to I-64 to Louisville. Also you'd pass through Midway getting to I64 and Midway is really a charming little gem. I am a bit partial because it's my hometown but there's great resturants and it's just super cute. lol

Redlands, California
5. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

We've booked the North-East. Artemis, we had dinner in Midway in 2007 (the no longer extant Black Orchid, but it was excellent) and we thought it was charming. Can you suggest a good place to eat there now?

Pittsburgh
reviews: 101
6. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

While you are waiting for Artemis, I would note that Midway has a number of well-regarded restaurants with lots of TA reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g39658-Midway_Ke…

Lexington Ky
reviews: 56
7. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

Heirloom is very good as is Holly Hill Inn. Both are a bit pricey but worth it. Reservations will be needed.

Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 12
8. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

My personal favorite for dinner is Heirloom and for a quick sandwich Wallace Station is yummy too, but it's not "downtown" Midway. That point is a little laughable thouh since you could probably sneeze and miss most if not all of Midway. lol I like Holly Hill but I really think Heirloom has them beat.

Redlands, California
9. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations--I think we'll probably drive out there one evening for our "nice dinner."

10. Re: Holiday Inn Express location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 22, 2014