We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested itinerary - bourbon trail

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peoria, IL
reviews: 40
Suggested itinerary - bourbon trail

Hi- I'm thinking of surprising my husband with a bourbon trail trip in March. We will be traveling Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon (arriving early afternoon day 1, have all of day 2, and then leave around noon on day 3). It's about a 6 hour drive from Peoria to the area.

I know we want to do Makers Mark and Buffalo Trace because those are 2 of his favorites. I would like to fit in a winery (Equus Run & Capital Cellars have been mentioned) and the shoe outlet in Shepherdsville if we can. It appears that the only places open Sun are some wineries, 4 Roses and Jim Beam.

I don't know the area at all and I'm confused about how to maximize our time without a lot of back and forth. Where should we go first & what order makes sense? Where to spend the night?

Thanks so much for your help.

Lexington, Kentucky
1. Re: Suggested itinerary - bourbon trail

I would start at Zappo's Outlet (near Louisville in Shepherdsville) then go to Maker's Mark (near Loretto in the country). Buffalo Trace iand Capital Cellars are in Frankfort closer to Lexington and Equus Run is in Lexington. Jean Farris has it's own winery, but doesn't do tours. However, they have a fantastic restaurant. The chef has cooked in New York at a James Beard dinner.

It would be best if you did Friday-Sunday. It would be very possible to go to Buffalo Trace, Capital Cellars and make it to Equus Run by 5.

Go to www.beyondgrits.com for Lexington restaurant suggestions!

Lexington, Kentucky
2. Re: Suggested itinerary - bourbon trail

Here is an "travel article" for wineries! www.visitlex.com/idea/agritourism.php

Peoria, IL
reviews: 40
3. Re: Suggested itinerary - bourbon trail

I think we're going to do this:

- Drive down on Thurs

- Fri morning, do the Buffalo Trace/4 Roses/WT leg first then back to Lexington

- Sat do the Makers Mark/Jim Beam etc then that night drive to Louisville

- Sun drive back home

That means we would spend 2 nights in Lexington. Does the itinerary sound ok? Where is a good place to stay that would be close to restaurants/bars etc but not too far from the highway the next morning? I've looked at B&Bs and hotels, and would like something a little nicer. I'm okay with staying outside of Lexington as long as we can avoid the floral wallpaper nature of a standard B&B...

Kentucky
reviews: 36
4. Re: Suggested itinerary - bourbon trail

I always use the Comfort Suites 3060 Fieldstone Way, Lexington, KY. This hotel is beautiful, friendly, handy for travel and one of my favs.

I have also stayed once at the Comfort Inn on Buena Vista Drive at the Baymont there twice.The CI was ok, but the Baymont was the rudest experience I have ever had at a hotel and it came from the manager.

Lexington Ky
reviews: 55
5. Re: Suggested itinerary - bourbon trail

Doubletree Suites and Gratz Park Inn are what I recommend. Doubletree is a short drive downtown to restaurants and about 5 minutes from the interstate. Gratz park is downtown and walkable to restaurants and bars. It's about 5-10 minutes to the interstate

Zionsville, Indiana
reviews: 7
6. Re: Suggested itinerary - bourbon trail

We're going in April and decided to stay at the Beaumont Inn--Harrodsburg. Its a compromise between a B&B and a hotel that has on site restaurants. Haven't been yet, but that's what we decided on for our group of 8.

7. Re: Suggested itinerary - bourbon trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 16, 2014