We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for keeneland

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Dress code for keeneland

We plan to attend the keeneland races on Friday with our two young kids. In many of the photos I see people are quite dressed up-- jacket and tie kind of stuff. I'm not too thrilled about trudging around with the kiddos in our Sunday best. Would we be out of place to go casual?

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1. Re: Dress code for keeneland

It depends upon where you are sitting/what area your tickets are in. If your tickets are in the clubhouse, it is coat and tie (no wiggle room). And if your husband does not have a tie, he will have to buy one and put it on before being allowed in. They sell them there for people who are unaware of the rules.

If you are just going general admission, it's whatever you'd like to wear. Some people will still be dressed (not as much as the clubhouse). As you move to different areas, there will be people in more casual wear.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
2. Re: Dress code for keeneland

Take a look at this video. They are dining in The Equestrian Room. That dining room requires advance reservations, but isn't part of the Clubhouse. It's open to anyone. No tie required. You'll see that the people in the video are dressed pretty casually. It's clearly a Fall meet. Same as you'll be attending. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp2vn2SVN_k

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
330 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Dress code for keeneland

Clubhouse doesn't allow jeans. Even if you're in general admission people tend to wear their best outfits. There are some dressed casually but it's a see and be seen kind of place

lexington
Level Contributor
220 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Dress code for keeneland

If you are going into the general admission grandstand, go all the way to the end. There is a grassy area there where kids like to play. Anything goes as far as dress there.

Williamsburg, KY
2 posts
5. Re: Dress code for keeneland

My husband and I are going to Keeneland on April 6, 2013. We are going with our sons fraternity he is a student at the University of Kentucky, It is parent week-end. What would be the appropriate attire for us?

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
330 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Dress code for keeneland

Depends on where you will be. If Club House or one of the upstairs dining rooms you'll need to dress up. No jeans. If it's general admission khaki's for men are always a safe bet and a cute outfit for women. Some people wear jeans but it's not the norm.

Williamsburg, KY
2 posts
7. Re: Dress code for keeneland

Thank You......... Does my husband need to wear a jacket and tie? I assume we are going through general admission. This week-end is planned by the fraternity so we are sort of at a loss.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
8. Re: Dress code for keeneland

Ask the fraternity where you will be sitting/standing. Are they buying the tickets ahead of time? If so, ask your son to try to put you in touch with the person organizing the outing. Specifically, ask them if you will be in the "Clubhouse" It is important to know if you will be in the Clubhouse. The dress code is fairly strict...particularly for men regarding ties & jackets.

See the notes above. If you are going to the Clubhouse and your husband doesn't have a jacket & tie, he will have to purchase a tie before being allowed in. PERIOD. On the female side, the ladies can be a bit snotty. If you aren't dressed appropriately for Clubhouse, you'll get the look.

I know it's hard to get this information out of a college-aged son in a frat house. However, you should try to get all the info you can. It will make your day go much more smoothly.

PS - My husband still has the tie he was forced to purchase about 25 years ago. Not the worst quality & it makes for a good story.

Hope you have a fun day. Keeneland is a lovely race track.

lexington
Level Contributor
220 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Dress code for keeneland

In the Clubhouse, coat and tie/dress. Not in the Clubhouse, anything goes. I do both, but I would be surprised if a frat had access to the Clubhouse. If you won't be in the Clubhouse, dress for the weather. What frat?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
140 reviews
10. Re: Dress code for keeneland

We spent the day at Keeneland today, and were a bit concerned what to wear after reading some comments. It was an unusually, cold, wet spring day, but our only chance to see Keeneland. So, we were forced to use our limited travel wardrobe and wore jeans (warmest pants we had), fleece and lined-spring jackets and gloves. We fit right in! Yes, people were in sport coats and nice attire for the women, but on a Wednesday, dressing for the weather was acceptable.

The up-side was that the crowds were really kept down and because of the rain, we got very close parking.

This was our first ever outing at a race track and people were so helpful with our many questions.