We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're on the way to Gatlinburg

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Champaign, Illinois
reviews: 14
We're on the way to Gatlinburg

And passing through Lexington from Illinois. It's always hard to pick a place to stay that's safe, close to the Interstate, etc. What area should we avoid? I don't mind plain. We could also do a bourbon tour or something similar. Any suggestions?

Champaign, Illinois
1. Re: We're on the way to Gatlinburg

And I should have said, we are leaving next Saturday, Apr. 22!

frankfort
reviews: 2
2. Re: We're on the way to Gatlinburg

The Woodford Reserve Distillery is a National Historic Landmark and surrounded by horse farms. The website is woodfordreserve.com . It is close to Frankfort near interstate 64 and U.S.60. Frankfort would be a good place to stay also, only about 30 miles from Lexington and 200 miles from Gatlinburg. The Days Inn in Frankfort has a coupon on their website for 45.00. The website is DAYINNFRANKFORT.com. U.S.60 is a great drive to Lexington, many horse farms, bourbon candy store, the castle and Keeneland Race Course.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
reviews: 269
3. Re: We're on the way to Gatlinburg

It just occured to me that that is the day for Thunder Over Louisville. You may have a difficult time finding a room even in Lexington, I'm not sure. But I would jump on it now if I were you. My husband, who travels through the state extensively, suggested you might want to stay at a hotel at the Mount Vernon or Corbin exit. The Cumberland Falls Lodge is really a nice place- a bit off the Interstate but a destination in itself. Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor. There's also a Holiday Inn Express and a Comfort Suites there. BTW, when you get to Gatlinburg, do NOT go by the main drag through Pidgeon Forge. It's horrible traffic. Go to 411 East at Sevierville and take 416 south down to 321 West and come in to Gatlinburg by the east. It's a really pretty rural drive. The other route will take you from stoplight to stoplight, bumper to bumper past Nascar stores, putt-putt, strip malls and fast food restaurants. Trust me. Been there many times.

Champaign, Illinois
4. Re: We're on the way to Gatlinburg

Thanks for the suggestions. We've been to Gatlinburg several times ourselves and agree totally with the horrendous traffic! This time we are staying in a cabin in the mountains.

Champaign, Illinois
5. Re: We're on the way to Gatlinburg

Okay, after looking at the map, I'm thinking I need to stay closer to Lexington, otherwise the guys will want to just keep on driving to get to Gatlinburg. I can hear it now! My girlfriend and I are the ones that want to take the extra time. How is the Richmond or Nicholasville areas?

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
6. Re: We're on the way to Gatlinburg

Are you at all interested in horses? The Horse Park in Lexington is really a great stop. http://www.kyhorsepark.com/

Keeneland Race track is also going that day, that is fun, but maybe more time than you'd want to devote. The Richmond area just a bit from Lexington is fine- it's home to Eastern KY University. Not a lot to do around there, but fine for a hotel night. I just did a hotel.com search for Sat April 22 and came up with several rooms, so it doesn't look like the Thunder people are swamping Lexington. Different scene at Derby weekend!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
7. Re: We're on the way to Gatlinburg

If you visit the horse park, a good place to stay right by the interstate is the Holiday Inn Lexington North. I've stayed there several times (my son-in-law played football at UK) and it's been renovated and is a nice property. They show availability at that time.

http://hilexingtonnorth.com/

Champaign, Illinois
8. Re: We're on the way to Gatlinburg

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful!