We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Shopping in La Grange, KY

Which LaGrange hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
reviews: 4
Holiday Shopping in La Grange, KY

Ladies: Just thought I'd mention my daughters and I enjoy xmas shopping in La Grange, KY each year. You not only have the original Cherry House - a fine furniture gallery, with dried floral arrangements/wreaths, but all decked out in Holiday Decorations each October, November and December - you also have the very quaint downtown area of La Grange for more shopping - eateries, antique stores, gift shops. We especially like the Corner Store and another called Twigs (table linens, dishes, knickknacks, etc.). La Grange has a tearoom, a top notch toy store, called the Treasured Child. A train runs right thru town, on Main Street. Which is especially neat for children. Although many of the shops are clearly female interest driven and probably boring to young children. All in all La Grange is a pleasant shopping experience.

I know that Cherry House still closes on Sundays. And perhaps some of the shops in La Grange do as well. I've found that a weekday is best, b/c Cherry House can get very crowded, especially the closer you get to Christmas.

Finally, in the Fall the closer to get to xmas, most shops in La Grange offer decorated tote bags with rafia, ribbons, greenery, tissue. Free with purchases. My daughters said - cool, all we had to do now is add a tag and I'm done shopping.

Just a shopping tip to get in the holiday spirit and beat the crowds at the mall. And best of all, you will find one of a kind type gifts that I just can't seem to find at the malls.

http://www.cherryhouse.com/

amazon.com/gp/…104-6211471-5955934

http://www.oldhamcountytourism.com/

OhioValleyMom/Mary

frankfort
reviews: 2
1. Re: Holiday Shopping in La Grange, KY

The Cherry House closed in Lagrange last month. The one in Louisville is still open.

Cincinnati
2. Re: Holiday Shopping in La Grange, KY

I didn't know that! I wonder why. It seemed to do such a good business in that location, walking cottage to cottage, each a different decorating theme.

Wow, now I'm really bummed!

Can you tell me if it's worth driving into the Louisville store (from Cincinnati)? I'll be honest, we never went there for the furniture, just the accessories - decorating ideas, one of a kind xmas table top decorations/ornaments/trimmings, wall hangings and silk flower arrangements year round.

Any info on the Louisville store would be greatly appreciated. I still enjoy shopping in LaGrange though.

Mary

Louisville
3. Re: Holiday Shopping in La Grange, KY

The Cherry House in La Grange is now closed, but Main Street is still worth a visit!

Cincinnati
4. Re: Holiday Shopping in La Grange, KY

Yes, La Grange's Main Street is definitely worth a visit. The first Friday and Saturday of December are Light Up La Grange nights. I'm not sure when I can travel down, but I intend to. I will miss seeing Cherry House on these visits but La Grange offers many hours of shopping too.

Mary

Cincinnati
5. Re: Holiday Shopping in La Grange, KY

Regarding Cherry House:

The CH in La Grange, KY is indeed closed. The email I received from the company stated that the furniture business has drastically changed in the past 5 years, so much so that CH decided to concentrate on one location - Louisville.

Recently my daughters and I visited the Louisville CH. I must say I was disappointed. For a furniture store, it's top notch, if you can afford it. But if you are visiting for their one of a kind holiday table top and wreath creations, ornaments, trimmings, etc. - it's rather disappointing. Many sections are not decorated, at all, for the holidays. The areas that are, just meanander from room to room. I really enjoyed the La Grange cottage feel CH had there, building to building but more importantly, casual to country, to formal to informal. At their Louisville store, it just has a completely different feel. 2 years ago I had so many table top arrangements to choose from in my price range - under $20. I settled on a lovely $16 one. This year the lowest priced arrangement I could find was $44! That is more than double, of course they included silk pointsettias in each arrangement. I ended up purchasing only 3 ornaments on this visit.

I will definitely return to the Main Street area of La Grange, we were traveling on a Sunday for that recent CH visit so we couldn't visit Main St.

But I honestly have to say my Cherry House phase is over now. Unless of course I win the lotto! Then maybe I could afford their expensive items. They offered very expensive pieces at La Grange but also decorations in my budget too, I just didn't seem to find that at their Lousville location.

I just might write a letter to the company!

Hope this helps anyone trying to decide if a trip to the CH Louisville store is worth it. If you are wealthy, I say it is. If not, skip it.

Mary

Get answers to your questions about LaGrange
Recent Conversations