We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Elizabethtown

Which Elizabethtown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 10
3 days in Elizabethtown

We will be in Elizabethtown for 3 days in September. Can someone suggest things to see while based in town. We want to go to Fort Knox and possibly horse related sights and something similar to Jack Daniels and also any civil war sites.

We have never been to Kentucky and we want to make the most of our trip through the state.

8 replies to this topic
Indianapolis
reviews: 43
1. Re: 3 days in Elizabethtown

You find yourself within 30 minutes of one of the best small towns in all of America. Bardstown, KY, which was just named most beautiful small town in America by USA Today travel. It is very historic and surrounded by many Bourbon distilleries(Bardstown is the Bourbon capital of the world). I would reccomend the tour of the Makers Mark distillery in Loretto, KY right outside of Bardstown. The Bourbon festival which draws a lot orf people and is full of different events takes place Sept. 11-16 so I would make sure to be aware if that is when you plan to travel. I won't go into all the other details of B-town but I would reccomend visiting their tourism website to get more info. I could easily spend at leat 2 days in Bardstown alone but I would also point out Hodgenville, KY about 20 minutes from E-town. Here you can see Abe Lincoln's birthplace and National Historic Park. Mammoth Cave National Park, about 50 minutes away down I-65, may be a stretch for you but I would definately reccomend going if you can. This whole area of South Central KY is filled with great scenery, good food and drink(Especially if you enjoy a good Bourbon) and friendly people.

Manchester, United...
2. Re: 3 days in Elizabethtown

Thanks Nawlins,that's just the sort of info we are looking for. We will be there from the 17th so will probably miss the Bourbon festival. I will look into your other suggestions. Once again, thanks.

cincinnati, ohio
reviews: 88
3. Re: 3 days in Elizabethtown

You follow city or united? Fox Soccer channel on cable TV here will keep you up to date on Barkley, UEFA, et.al. with current reports and reruns.

Fort Knox isn't exactly a top tourist hot spot so your interest confuses me but the Patton Museum is interesting.

Bardstown has My Old Kentucky Home and Heaven Hill Distillery which doesn't do any distilling, it's warehousing and a presentation room.

Loretto has Maker's Mark and offers everything from the still house to bottling followed by a taste in an Art Deco sampling room. Highly suggested. See my archived review on MM, and some others on the area.

The Bourbon Trail you'll run into a lot. HH and Beam are presentations without a tour. Check with the location before you chose. Also, there are many other distilleries that offer tours as well beyond those 6. Many wineries in the area also

Lexington has the Horse Park, tour of horse farms, and many historical homes and houses like Mary Todd Lincoln and John Hunt Morgan but the Civil War sites like Camp Wildcat and Richmond Battlefield are further south.

Contact Lexington CVB or kentuckytourism.com after reviewing T/A for detailed information.

Finally, Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, someplace you shouldn't miss since the religious sect that built this village was originated by Mother Ann Lee, in Manchester, England, where she was born in late May, 1742, then emigrated to N.Y. state in 1774 for religious freedom, and died in 1784. This village was established during the Great Awakening, a religious revival between 1803 and 1808 by her disciples. Currently, it offers overnight guest rooms in the "family" houses, food service using the Shaker recipes in their dining rooms (the desserts are TDF), and a "working" Shaker community. Shouldn't miss!!

Hope you have an enjoyable trip. 3 days isn't much with what's available in this area so research well and plan accordingly, particularly the drive times.

Manchester, United...
4. Re: 3 days in Elizabethtown

I do not follow soccer, much to the annoyance of some of my family. We just wanted to go to Fort Knox for the curiosity really, yes Patton musuem is on our list though.

I will check the suggestions you mention. I suppose coming from Manchester we should (and will) check out Shakertown.

I am a huge Elvis fan and have 'found' Elvis stuff pretty much all over the states so my question is, 'where can I find Elvis in Kentucky'

We are looking forward to our trip through Kentucky.

cincinnati, ohio
reviews: 88
5. Re: 3 days in Elizabethtown

That's a good question. Being that he was based in Tennessee, Memphis to be exact, we'll have to trust to the folks onsite here to give you a hand - I'm at a loss on that one.

Manchester, United...
6. Re: 3 days in Elizabethtown

Of course it's not the reason we are going to Kentucky, we love seeing as many interesting sites as possible. It's just that nearly every state we have been to, we have found Elvis stuff, musuems, exibitions that kind of thing. I even found an Elvis musuem in Apache Junction way out in the desert in Arizona!

My wife has started to check out the Shakertown story. Ann Lee was baptised in Manchester cathedral just a few miles from where we live, it's a small world for sure!

reviews: 33
7. Re: 3 days in Elizabethtown

We're planning our first Kentucky trip too this fall (October), staying in Bardstown with a day trip south to Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park, and have heard several of the same suggestions including the Shaker Village. One thing we're looking forward to in Bardstown is a bourbon tasting at Chapeze House, which is featured on some travel shows and hosted by a gentleman called "The Colonel." Quite a character. We'll be doing one distillery tour as well; haven't decided whether it will be Makers Mark or one of the small craft distillaties in Bardstown.

reviews: 33
8. Re: 3 days in Elizabethtown

If you do decide to see Mammoth Cave, there are two tours by lantern-light that follow the retrace the historic route toured by Charles Dickens. For a list of cave tours, visit the Mammoth Cave National Park website.

Have fun!

Edited: 7:14 pm, August 17, 2014
Reply to: 3 days in Elizabethtown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Elizabethtown