We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR for 4 Aussies!

Which Wichita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 32
TR for 4 Aussies!

Thanks to Patrick and Po5 and (others?) we had a great time in the Wichita area. We dropped one of the kids at college and got her settled in then managed to do most of the things suggested with the highlights being the Taylor Swift concert (not by me but the kids), Yoder was sensational, no offence intended but we laughed and laughed in the Carrige gift shop! "The Shunning" DVD was the killer with the Yoder meats hoodie and my "Yoder, making beards sexy since 18??" Tshirt both classic! The sweet roll thing that Po5 reccommend was delish!

We drove endless miles looking at corn growing and hoping for a twister as the weather was pretty bad...sorry to report there was no twister. Found a "Dicks" sporting goods which we thought was pretty funny as well, and learnt to say "you guyses" which everyone seamed to be saying to us. Found the scuba shop and bought the t-shirt...its not often you get a dive shirt with wheat on the logo. Rode the electric karts at Walmart, which was free and had us in fits of laughter. Forget all the places we ate but each one was different and good...at each place the staff were more than welcoming execpt one girl at IHOP who was cranky about something...which made us laugh and her even more cranky.

So thanks again to the good folks of TA and to the city of Wichita...we had a ball!

7 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: TR for 4 Aussies!

Forgot Zoey....thankyou Zoey!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 94
2. Re: TR for 4 Aussies!

Thanks for the report. It is fun seeing us through other eyes.

I've lived here for almost 30 years and I'm still looking for my first tornado, so don't feel that you were left out.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 91
3. Re: TR for 4 Aussies!

So glad you had a good visit! How was your time in Vegas (I think I remember you were going on to spend a few days there.)? And so excited someone did a TR for us!! :-)

Unlike lighthouse, I have lived here all of my life and seen 3 tornados, well two actually, the third went right over our home and we were in the shelter. The houses a block away weren't so lucky. The power is unbelievable.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 46
4. Re: TR for 4 Aussies!

Thanks for the report. Saw a tornado in El Dorado,KS. over 50 years ago. As I recall it killed about 10 people.

Darling Downs...
reviews: 4
5. Re: TR for 4 Aussies!

We are heading to the area for the second time in June! But an hour west to Hutchinson where we have friends who are farmers (as are we)... It might be small town America, but I love that we get to see 'real' America, not just the big tourist attractions in the cities.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 94
6. Re: TR for 4 Aussies!

They are farther apart, but you will still find cool things in that area!

I will consult you in a few months as we start planning our first trip to Australia.

Wichita, Kansas
reviews: 14
7. Re: TR for 4 Aussies!

Lots of farms around there and many of them are Amish. It's fascinating if that sort of thing interests you.

Be sure to eat at the Carriage Crossing in Yoder.

Edit: never mind, saw the OP and noticed you've already been to the Carriage Crossing :-)

Edited: 9:26 am, February 04, 2014
Reply to: TR for 4 Aussies!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted