We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

Which Wichita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 7
Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

Hi Everyone, we are looking at heading to Yoder for the day while we are staying in Wichita. It looks like it is about 30mins drive and a good chance to see the Armish communities.....has anyone been there?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 105
1. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

My last visit was two weeks ago. I like Yoder, but there is less to see than you might expect. You will have a chance to encounter Mennonites in several of stores, particularly the Carriage Crossing Restaurant or Yoder Meats.

For the most part, there isn't a lot to see of the Amish. You might pass through the area without noticing any. When passing their farms, other than the absence of trucks in the yard or power lines running to the house, they aren't that distinctive.

Yoder Meats is best known for their own smoked meats & sausages, and for unusual cuts and types of meats (for example, buffalo), but they also sell locally produced Amish candies, cheese and baked goods. At least on Saturday, they offer free samples of a lot of the meats, snacks and cheeses.

Edited: 8:58 am, April 29, 2013
Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 127
2. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

I agree with Lighthouse. If you are only going to Yoder to see Amish, I'm afraid you will be disappointed. You do occasionally see them on the road, but it is nothing like being in Pennsylvania, for example.

Now, if you want to take the chance to see them (and I can try to find out some information on what side roads you would want to take to see some of their homes that are off the beaten path), you are almost to Hutchinson which offers two great opportunities for tourism. There is a salt mine maybe 30 minutes from Yoder where companies from all over the world, including Hollywood, store their items because of the unique conditions found in a salt mine. You take an elevator deep into the earth, go on a tram ride tour, and come back to a museum like area that covers equipment used to build the mine, mine it, and short videos explaining the process to an area of stored items from Hollywood such as Batman costume, scripts, etc. It is interesting, and I enjoyed it the time I went.

If you go on into Hutchinson, you will find the Cosmosphere, a world class space museum. They also have a unique Imax theater with various shows about space, flying, etc. showing. You will see actual space suits, and space craft on display. There is not only American items, but items from Russia (maybe others, too) on display.

Back to Yoder, a stop at the Carriage Crossing restaurant will offer you a look into the country foods often found in Kansas. And they have always had the best, huge, cinammon rolls. Just simple, good food. Yoder Meats is a nice spot to see some of what the area has to offer as far ash foods. I think they also have some homemade non-food items as well.

Kansas
Destination Expert
3. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

Yes, there is a small area with craft items for sale at Yoder Meats.

But if you go on to Hutchinson, I think there are some more interesting places to eat than the Carriage Crossing. There are many other good places. Hutchinson has a disproportionately large selection of good locally owned, non chain, restaurants. A couple of the coolest:

Roy's Hickory Pit BBQ is a small family run restaurant with great meats. Only open for lunch until 3PM or until the meat is gone.

R-B Drive In is a 60 plus year old classic with great burgers and hand made French fries and onion rings. R-B's hamburgers are available in a variety of sizes, up to the double beltbuster, a 2 pound hamburger.

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

Thanks so much for your replies everyone. We are staying in Wichita as one of the kids has a scholarship to Butler so we are looking for things to do while she is settling into the college. How far is Hutchinson from Wichita?

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 42
5. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

breakerbreaker....itinerary - Breakfast at Yoder for the best, huge, cinammon rolls. Lunch at Roy's Hickory Pit BBQ (early so we dont miss out) and dinner at R-B Drive for the double beltbuster! Stopping off at Yoder meats for traveling smallgoods for the trip back to the hotel! Going to add 30 more minutes to my gym sessions......

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 127
6. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

It is about 45 minutes from NW Wichita. Are you staying in El Dorado or Wichita?

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

parentsof5 we are staying in Wichita.

Giant Paper Clip that sounds like a great plan there is truly nothing better than driving along eating small goods!!!

Kansas
Destination Expert
8. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

Sounds good, except R-B closes at 4PM (5:30 on Friday). That can be a problem with the unique local places.

I hope you have a good trip and that your child has a great experience in the States. Here is more on Hutchinson, including those three restaurants: http://www.kansastravel.org/hutchinson/

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 46
9. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

Something I don't think has been mentioned is the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve www.nps.gov/tapr/planyourvisit/index.htm and the town of Cottonwood Falls just a couple of miles south of the preserve. Both are definitely worth a short day trip.

The Kansas Cosmosphere & Space Center in Hutchinson is a world class exhibit.

Edited: 9:12 am, April 30, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
10. Re: Four Aussies interested in a trip to Yoder

So many great ideas i really appreciate your input