We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

Which Wichita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 41
4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

Hi ya'll (gettin my southern on!), we are from Brisbane, Australia and one of our kids has a place at College for the next 4 years in Kansas. We have booked Hawthore Suites but apart from that have 5 days to kill before we head off to Vegas minus the kid.

We need stuff to do as we are not the sit still kind of people...so what would you reccommend?

We are Scuba divers and noticed there are several companies in town, would you reccommend one? We really dont want to be board on the other side of the world so might even consider going to work with you for the day, doing a charity day, whatever...could be fun. We have a car while we are there.

Anyway, please add any suggestions...

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 46
1. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

G'day, I have contacted my nephew who is a scuba diver/instructor to help you with the diving. A great web site to help with what to do in Wichita and some of the surrounding is: www.gowichita.com I will see if I can come up with some additional ideas. I don't know how hot it gets in Brisbane but here in August you can expect the temperature to be in the 35*-40* range.

Actually we rarely, if ever, say ya'll here in Kansas, you need to go farther south and east to experience it. Hope this helps to get you started.

Edited: 10:13 am, April 16, 2013
Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
2. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

I'm a former Wichita resident, although it's been a dozen years or more, but these are some things I enjoyed. If you've any interest in history, you might like to visit Wichita's Old Cowtown Museum, a living history museum. http://www.oldcowtown.org/

The Sedgwick Zoo has some interesting exhibits. http://www.scz.org/index.php

If you don't mind driving a bit, Hutchinson KS has the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center, which is affiliated with the Smithsonian Museums. http://www.cosmo.org/index.cfm Lots of good exhibits and a theater that shows current 3-D movies. At Hutchinson, you will also find the Kansas Underground Salt Museum. http://www.undergroundmuseum.org/index.php I haven't been yet, but I want to go.

El Dorado Lake is about 25 miles east of Wichita, and Cheney Lake is about 30 miles west of Wichita. http://tinyurl.com/bp9utfo

PatrickH, do you know anything about the NBC Baseball Tournament for 2013? I see the Wichita Wingnuts (minor league baseball team) are out of town the first week or so of August. If you'd like to see American baseball, attending some National Baseball Congress Tournament games might be fun.

There used to be some fun and funky shops and restaurants in the Old Town section, but I've been gone long enough I'm not sure what's still in that area.

Edited: 12:33 pm, April 16, 2013
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 103
3. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

I hear G'day more often than ya'll in Kansas:-) Most Kansans think of themselves as being in the Midwest, though the rest of the country would call it the Plains or the Southwest.

There are many things to do in Kansas, both near Wichta or farther away. Let us know if you have any other interests, and we can make some recomendations. The two Hutchinson attractions which Zoey mentions are a couple of the best.

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

OK...no more Ya'lling. Damn it, I've been practicing as we will be in Chattanooga before Kansas. 35 degrees plus is a nice summers day here.

Thanks very much for the great ideas, baseball is now on the adgenda...hoping to get there on giant foam hand night....awesome idea Zoey!

Patrickh...Have researched more diving companies, seems most are into education more than local dives so I might take the chance to upgrade some skills so def' get you nephew to contact us. We will be in El Dorado as well so I guess we just go swim in the lake for a day if thats allowed??

Thanks so much for the replys.

GPC

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 127
5. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

Regarding the lakes, just be prepared, although we are experienceing a nice wet spring spring so far, we have had a long drought and these lakes were lower than most people ever remember.

How far are you willing to travel for touristy things?

There are many interesting things to see in Wichita, most of which you will undoubtedly find on the site Patrick gave. In the heat of the day, you might enjoy catching a movie at the Warren Theater Old Town. You can order burgers, etc. to your seat. It's kind of fun, and a nice break from the Kansas summer heat. (If you go, don't see something in the Showcase auditorium, go to one of the others, the seats are much more comfortable in the General or Directors auditioriums.)

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

Great tips PO5, thanks. Well, we have a car and will be driving from Chattanooga to get to Wichita so I guess we are up for day tripping. I think we will go to Topeka on one of the days because we like the name and maybe somewhere in Oklahoma because that = cowboys and indians to us (thanks alot John Wayne!)...movies are a top idea if its really hot..thanks. Still keen on the diving though..

Kansas
reviews: 34
7. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

Definitely recommend the Hutchinson Cosmosphere and it would be indoors and cool. The underground Salt Mine tour would be cool also as it is 650 feet / 198 meters underground. There is a nice swimming pool as you leave Hutchinson - Salt City Splash. I should say that many of the rivers, ponds, and lakes in Kansas are surrounded by agricultural areas and that run off from farmland can lead to less than pristine conditions you may be accustomed too swimming or diving. We go to Grand Cayman to snorkel and scuba. There is also nice swimming pool areas at the YMCA in Wichita and in Derby KS just south of Wichita there is Rock River Rapids for a nice pool swim. It may be that your hotel will have a small pool that will provide a refreshing respite. The east Hawthorne on Webb Rd. does have a small pool although the west one on Ridge Rd. does not have a pool. Stop in small town of Yoder KS for the Mennonite shops and restaurant on your way back to Wichita.

Nice museum in OKC 2.5 hours south of Wichita on interstate highway: http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/ in Oklahoma City. There is also the memorial site for the Oklahoma City bombing which I have not visited.

Heading to Topeka- hmmmm.

Abilene KS has a very nice President Dwight D. Eisenhower library & museum.

www.eisenhower.archives.gov/

Junction City has Fort Riley army base that has some visitor options.

There are a couple of lakes in the north east part of the state.

West of Wichita 2.5 hours in central KS is Old Fort Larned. http://www.nps.gov/fols/index.htm (It gets really hot in the summer afternoons.)

Have you considered Kansas City 3 hours from Wichita? Great WWI museum, lots of shops, restaurants, outdoor theatre.

Enjoy your trip!

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
8. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

I finally heard from my nephew. He said the only truly full service diving shop is in Augusta,Ks. a small town about 25 miles east of Wichita. The diving in this area is not very good as the water is not very clear so you have limited visibility when diving.

If you are a fan of good chocolate you might check out this site. www.cocoadolce.com.

Edited: 9:56 am, April 25, 2013
wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
9. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

www.cocoadolce.com

Brisbane, Australia
10. Re: 4 Australians in Wichita early Aug to paint the town red!

Thanks for the follow up Patrickh...