We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit

Which Wichita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 7
First time visit

Hello. My daughter and I will be travelling to Wichita in early May for medical treatment. We will be staying at the CrestHill Suites as it is across from the medical facility. I know the hotel provides shuttle service from the airport, but I am wondering if we should rent a car since the hotel has a kitchen and we will need food etc. We are staying for 2 weeks. Is there a grocery store nearby on East Central Ave? Or is the bus system good and is it a fairly safe city to travel in?

21 replies to this topic
wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 46
1. Re: First time visit

You will need a car. Wichita covers a large area and the bus system would be of no help where you are staying. There is a nice Dillon's(Kroger) store a little over two miles west of the hotel. It is at Central and Rock Rd. There is also a SuperTarget which has groceries at 21st and Greenwich Rd. which is about the same distance away. Just go west on central to the first light which is Greenwich Rd. and then north two miles to 21st.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 120
2. Re: First time visit

I completely agree with Patrick on this. You will want a car. While we do have bus transportation, that is not the way you will want to go.

Please feel free to send me a message if you need anything at all while you are in town.

Kansas
reviews: 30
3. Re: First time visit

Agree with above posts but wonder if you should double check the location of your medical treatment facility. I haven't been out that far east of Wichita for quite a while as I don't recall much of anything in that area other than some newer residences. I would regret your staying out that far from everything if not necessary.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 120
4. Re: First time visit

There is a health center right there. You never know what is popping up on the outskirts of the city.

Ottawa, Canada
5. Re: First time visit

OK thanks. so next question.. anyone know the best car rental company to go with? Is there one in that same area? Not sure I will be up to renting one upon arrival at the airport, and driving through an unknown city after 9 hrs of travelling. Also, we will be arriving around 6 pm on a Sunday. Will anything be open?

Kansas
6. Re: First time visit

It appears Enterprise ("the company that picks up") has a location at:

832 N WEBB RD STE 200

WICHITA, KS 67206

Tel.: (316) 682-2323

I rent from the Enterprise location at Scholfield Honda when my car is in the shop and have good experience. Could you shuttle to the hotel on Sunday and rent the car the next day?

Edited: 5:00 pm, April 18, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
7. Re: First time visit

Thanks so much! Yes the hotel actually supplies shuttle service!

Kansas
8. Re: First time visit

I should clarify the above is NOT the Honda location but rather an additional location that I have not used. It is about 3 miles from your lodging and they claim to "pick up" so it may be convenient for you.

Not certain if you will eat dinner on your flight. There is an airport restaurant after going down the ramp from the gate area and before you turn right to go to baggage carousel. I can't say the food would be noteworthy but might suffice. Otherwise, I would think the shuttle driver might stop near the hotel long enough for you to pick up some fresh carry out. There are many fast food places as you turn north off Kellogg/Hwy 54/US400 onto Greenwich if you can stomach that type of food. Pizza Hut on Kellogg probably delivers but it may not be what you need. Unfortunately, the place I would recommend in that area, Promise Thai Cuisine, is not open on Sundays but is open 11-9 other days of the week. A small husband & wife place, it is like having a meal in their home.

Promise Thai Cuisine 313 S Greenwich Rd. (316) 440-4555 NOT OPEN SUNDAYS

urbanspoon.com/cities/…94604

Across the street though is Two Brother's Bar-B-Q 300 S Greenwich Rd (316) 683-1330. You could easily get a couple of meals to go in a short time even if you don't call ahead. It is BBQ but they have many choices for all tastes.

The hotel serves breakfasts, so you could get by then until you picked up your rental car and had a chance to run by Dillon's or Target.

Let us know if there are other aspects with which we may be of assistance.

Ottawa, Canada
9. Re: First time visit

Wow! thanks for all the info! I didn't even think about the fact that it will be dinner time when we arrive and we will be hungry! That Thai place sounds good so we will probably try it later. I think the hotel actually serves dinner on weekdays too, but my daughter has a pretty restricted diet (gluten-free, dairy-free) so we will need to buy groceries for sure.

I printed out the map and that rental place looks very close to the hotel. Do you remember roughly how much it costs per day? I guess they are comparable to Avis and Hertz etc?

Kansas
10. Re: First time visit

If you need any specialty groceries while here, my favorite is:

Green Acres Market

http://greenacres.com/index.php

Bradley Fair

8141 E. 21st

Wichita, Kansas 67206

(316) 634-1088

Monday to Sunday 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM

Go west on Central to Greenwich-north to 21st (Target store intersection) and west to just before Rock Rd. It is on the left next to Ya Ya's and the Good Egg restaurants. Less than 5 miles/10 minutes. There is also another Dillon's north across (on your right behind McDonald's) 21st street. My boy's had MANY food allergies when young and it was my go-to place back before those types of foods were popular. It is not inexpensive, but they have a lot of options for cheeses, yogurts, breads, ice cream, pasta, crackers, etc. which would fall into the dairy free and gluten free category. They also have a great salad bar and a deli and are very good about advising if foods are 'safe'. I tried to go when it wasn't a busy time so they had the ability to discuss ingredients with me. They have organic produce but not too much in the meat department.

I messaged a friend who is GF to ask about the current status for these foods at Target and Dillon's since I don't look at that too much anymore. I will advise when I hear back from her.

According to the Enterprise website, the smallest car would be a Chevy Spark or similar for $165 a week; $177 for a Nissan Versa or a Toyota Yaris or similar; plus the various taxes. Unlimited mileage. It does say to call the location regarding the pick you up service. If you wish to message me with your dates and specifics of what you want and when I would call them for you just to ask some questions or I could obtain an email address do you could contact them yourself so you have documentation of the details prior to your arrival in Wichita.

832 N WEBB RD STE 200

WICHITA, KS 67206-1852

(316) 682-2323

Reply to: First time visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted