We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need special restaurant suggestions, please

Which Wichita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
679 posts
Need special restaurant suggestions, please

My husband and I will be in Wichita next week to celebrate a special occasion.

We would appreciate recs for restaurants.

It would be great if one could be within walking distance of the Hyatt Regency for the day we arrive, but we can drive if there are none in that area.

We like American, French, Mexican, not so much Indian or Asian.

Just wanting special food and atmosphere.

Thanks so much for your help.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
646 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Need special restaurant suggestions, please

I enjoy Cafe Bel Ami downtown, not far from the Hyatt. It has been around awhile, and some have found it "old" but I love it. Definately feels more special than the chain restaurants around with good food. I have never eaten anything there I didn't like. You can make reservations.

Also look into the restaurants in Old Town, I have not eaten down there in a while, but know there are some non- chains as well as chains like Old Chicago. oldtownwichita.com/eat-and-drink .

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Need special restaurant suggestions, please

I would agree with the above recommendations, especially Cafe Bel Ami.

Kansas
Level Contributor
447 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Need special restaurant suggestions, please

I don't think of downtown Wichita when I think of celebrating a special occasion but I have not been to Cafe BelAmi. Today it is 18 degrees at 7:00 pm and I would not want to walk from the Hyatt to Cafe BelAmi in my special occasion attire. So, if you want to drive anyway....from the Hyatt, go straight south to the elevated east-west roadway to your south - Kellogg (Hwy 54) and head east. It is a straight shot eastbound. Get off at Rock Rd exit (5.5 mi) and go north to 21st St (4 mi) where Bradley Fair shopping area is located. They have free horse drawn carriage rides at various times of the year...There you will find YaYa's Eurobistro, Newport Grill Seafood (you didn't mention seafood), and Il Vicino Italian. All would be appropriate for a special occasion. There are great upscale shops including Backwoods, various clothing stores and a Barnes & Noble in the area also. I suggest you Google their websites and take a look at the menus. If those do not appeal to you...back on east bound Kellogg (which, by the way, is super fast, safe and exits are all to the right and well marked to find your way) and continue past Rock Rd to Webb Rd (1 mi further east) where you will turn north. Proceed to 13th St (3 mi) where you could choose from several restaurants in the area called, At the Waterfont: Bonefish Grill, P.F.Changs (you didn't mention Chinese but it is great food and setting), Abuelo's Mexican, Ciao Italian, and Chester's Chophouse. There is a newer Brazilian steakhouse out NW Wichita, Chapada. I haven't tried it but if you are interested just google it. Bon Appetite! and enjoy your special occasion.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
679 posts
4. Re: Need special restaurant suggestions, please

Thanks to all for your kind replies. I will look into your suggestions.

5. Re: Need special restaurant suggestions, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, July 28, 2015