We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel south of Wichita and route through city

Which Wichita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 106
Hotel south of Wichita and route through city

We'll be passing through Wichita on on our way to visit family in Oklahoma City, and have decided to stop near Wichita and drive on to OKC the next morning. We'll be on 135 to 35...or should we take 235? Or take another route from Denver? Mapquest suggests going through Garden City. We usually prefer 4 lane highway when we're just trying to get someplace, not sightseeing much.

If we route through Wichita, should we expect any traffic issues? We'd be coming through around 4 to 6 o'clock, depending on what time we leave Denver.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 46
1. Re: Hotel south of Wichita and route through city

What I would recommend is that you look at the Best Western Red Coach Inn which is actually on the north side of Wichita( Park City)915 E. 53 north, 1-800695-8284. There are at least two chain restaurnts nearby-Applebee's and Cracker Barrel.

Some of the motels on the south side of town are beginning to show their age but there is, or at least was, a Holiday Inn Express on south Laura St. If you want to stay somewhere farther away from I-135 there are nicer and more expensive places.

Traffic should not be much of a problem, it will be heavier from about 4:30-5:30 but no major problems unless there is an accident. Just expect no one to use a turn signal and drive at least 5 mph over the limit. I-70 to Salina and then south on I-135 and then onto the Kansas Turnpike(I-35) is the fastest way to go.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
2. Re: Hotel south of Wichita and route through city

Thanks!

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 46
3. Re: Hotel south of Wichita and route through city

Changed my mind. The Red Coach is close to the interstate and could be noisy. There is a Days Inn at 4848 S, Laura which is just east of I-135 at 47th. street south. It is the last free exit before you get to the Kansas Turnpike. You can find it on Google maps. Just exit I-135 at 47th turn left and then only about a block,or less, to Laura and turn right. There are several fast food places on 47th. KFC, Long John Silvers, Subway etc. also a good bbq called Hog Wild. There is also a hole in the wall Mexican restaurant on S. Emporia street just to the west of 1-135 called Jalisco. It is in a strip mall just south of 47th. It's not much to look at but the food is excellent. The owners are from Mexico and Honduras so you have a variety of choices. Just order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. The caldo de camerones,shrimp soup, is good but the serving is huge and probably the most expensive thing they have on the menu.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
reviews: 102
4. Re: Hotel south of Wichita and route through city

I'e had good experiences at that Days Inn on South Laura, but it has been 2 or 3 years since I was last there.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
5. Re: Hotel south of Wichita and route through city

Thanks again! We will keep the Days Inn in mind...I'm not making a reservation until the day of travel in case we are able to get a really early start and just drive on to OKC. This time of year I'm guessing we could get a room if we call the night before or early that morning.

In any case we will likely be ready for a meal and are always up for good BBQ or Mexican.

kansas
reviews: 52
6. Re: Hotel south of Wichita and route through city

there is also a Comfort Inn very close to the Days Inn. It has one of the best breakfast buffets in the morning that I've ever had in these type of hotels.

7. Re: Hotel south of Wichita and route through city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, December 16, 2013