We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound

Which Wichita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Forest Lake...
reviews: 1
Greyhound

Is the greyhound bus station in Wichita dangerous? 312 s broadway.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 127
1. Re: Greyhound

I would not call it dangerous, but I would also make sure I am aware of my surroundings. Obviously bus stations are not what they were at one time, different times and people.

Are you asking more for someone that may have a layover there or picking someone up? Let me know, and I'll further expound on my opinion.

Forest Lake...
2. Re: Greyhound

I am taking a greyhound from Minneapolis to Wichita. Then flying from Wichita to Vegas back to Minneapolis. I've never taken a greyhound so I have no idea what it is like. I just want to be safe.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
reviews: 46
3. Re: Greyhound

Safety is not as much of a problem on a bus as boredom is. What time do you get into Wichita?

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
4. Re: Greyhound

Here is what I can tell you, there can be sketchy people that hang around bus stations, coming from Minneapolis you will be stopping at many bus stations. You can always sit close to the driver, although sitting towards the middle is better for "car" sickness.

As far as our station, it is in a poorer section of town, but clean with personel around. Will you be meeting someone or catching a cab to the airport? As long as you are aware of your surroundings, I don't think you have more to worry about then a trip to a Wal-mart. There will be other people on the bus and groups are best for safety.

My mom took a bus from Minnesota (the SW corner of the state) several years ago at about age 61. She never mentioned feeling unsafe. She did not like all the stops, especially some rather long layovers. She has not done it sense and drives herself now. But I believe it is more for the length then feeling unsafe.

Forest Lake...
5. Re: Greyhound

It is a 12 hour drive. I am going with my boyfriend so I won't be alone. Here is my other question. Where is the best area to stay in? I need to leave 3 days after I get to Wichita by plane. So I thought I'd get a hotel near the airport. But I also want to be in an are where there are things to do. What are your opinions?

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
6. Re: Greyhound

Oh, then you will be fine. There is a remodeled hotel about 2 blocks from the station. Holiday Inn Downtown- Convention at 221 E Kellogg. I don't know much about it, but know they re-modeled a few years ago. I'm sure you can find them on here. There is also a Hotel at Waterwalk Wichita. It is another block to the West from the Holiday Inn. It is more of a residence inn type facility with kitchens. Again, look them up on here and see what others say, as I don't know much about it. It changed names a couple of years ago, too with some remodeling. I mention these because they are about a mile and a half or two from Old Town - Bar Scene - food - movie theater, etc.There are also other hotels downtown that aren't as close to the station, but closer to Old Town - the Courtyard by Marriott is one. You might check for free transportation to the airport if considering any of these. There is a Best Western near the hotel, and a Hilton within walking distance of the Airport. The Hilton has a bar area you could hang out in. Not a lot going on by the Airport, although there is a movie theater with second run movies for $3 about a mile away and a good mexican restaurant next to it. There is a mall about 2 miles away. not easy to walk to either of these locations as you have to cross traffic. Lots of things to do with an easy taxi ride. Let me know if you have other questions, or need more details.

Forest Lake...
7. Re: Greyhound

I booked the Hawthorne hotel. Bid on it through Priceline got it for $40/night. Its not high end but I noticed it is suite style which will be nice so we can buy groceries and cook in there. Also they serve free breakfast every morning so that is good. The cab ride from the hotel to the airport might be a little long but that's ok. I was told to get a hotel in east Wichita as there are more things to do on that side of town.

Wichita, Kansas
reviews: 59
8. Re: Greyhound

Greyhound station and the area around it has a homeless element and you might get hit up for some money, but they are usually harmless and won't hassle you if you just say no. Like other posters have said, just be aware of your surroundings like you would in any larger downtown area. I would definitely NOT STAY in any of the non chain hotels anywhere along Broadway Avenue..unless it's the Waterwalk or Holiday Inn like was mentioned,,,stay far away from the other places on Broadway, especially south Broadway as they are all dumpy and havens for crackheads. Don't get me wrong, Wichita is a great city with lots of fun things to do and great people, but like any city, it has it's good and bad. Most hotels by the airport are OK and I would agree about the east side or Old Town. If you have time, Wichita has a great zoo and lots of museums and other things to do. Enjoy your stay!

Wichita, Kansas
9. Re: Greyhound

not really. few bums hang around, but so do the city police..

10. Re: Greyhound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 15, 2013