We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking for Megabus

Which Iowa City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfield, Iowa
reviews: 10
parking for Megabus

I'm planning on taking MegaBus from Iowa City to Chicago. I'm not from Iowa City, so would have to park my car somewhere near the MegaBus pickup point. Does anyone know if there's free parking near the pickup, which is at S Dubuque & East Court?

Thanks.

16 replies to this topic
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
reviews: 25
1. Re: parking for Megabus

The bus stop is near Iowa City's downtown and an area with a lot of rental housing, so I would not count on finding any free parking nearby. You may be able to find free parking further from the university area and then take the Iowa City bus system or Cambus to get down to the Megabus stop area. You should be able to Google Cambus and Iowa City Transit System to view their routes and costs.

Edited: 1:11 pm, February 20, 2011
Iowa City, Iowa
2. Re: parking for Megabus

I think you're going to have to take your chances with street parking. That area is filled with UI student apartments, all looking for very few parking spaces along the street. There are very few parking lots, and any in that area will be restricted to residents and the businesses in the area.

If you are lucky enough to find a spot on a side street in that area, you will also have to worry about having it moved now and then if the streets need to be plowed while you're gone.

Your safest bet is probably to park in one of the ramps or garages in the area, but none will be free.

I would suggest calling the I.C. Parking/Transportation Office to get a better idea where to park: 319-356-5096.

Fairfield, Iowa
3. Re: parking for Megabus

Thanks for the info. Seems like the cheap cost of the MegaBus will be negated by parking costs.

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
4. Re: parking for Megabus

Most of the parking around downtown Iowa City is either metered, or alternate day parking. Meaning you have to move your car every day.

I'd second the recommendation to call the parking office.

Fairfield, Iowa
5. Re: parking for Megabus

Thanks for the suggestion to call the parking office. It turns out that I can park for only $5.40 a day in the Court Street ramp near the pickup.

Iowa City, Iowa
6. Re: parking for Megabus

You're welcome! That's not a bad deal for downtown I.C. parking. Have a good trip!

usa
7. Re: parking for Megabus

I'm planning a trip out of iowa city soon. Did you have any trouble finding a spot in the ramp? is it within walking distance to pickup? (I don't want to have to drag my luggage far!)

San Francisco...
reviews: 86
8. Re: parking for Megabus

If you are planning to be in Chicago a long time and want to park free, park at a big store like Wal Mart and take the bus or a cab to the Megabus spot. If you are only gone a few days just park in the ramp for 5 or 6 dollars a day. It is right there.

Portsmouth, New...
9. Re: parking for Megabus

I am also planning on finding parking to take the Iowa City Megabus. Did any of you have luck parking at the ramp? And would Walmart be a safe option for a car?

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 62
10. Re: parking for Megabus

My mom and I parked in the ramp right by the Megabus stop in Iowa City and paid by credit card in advance. Call the Iowa City transportation department to pay in advance. It's easy.

Reply to: parking for Megabus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted